My Single-Sided TV-B-Gone layout available for download!

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Agent24

My Single-Sided TV-B-Gone layout available for download!

Post by Agent24 »

I made my own TV-B-Gone a while back and etched my own board here.

Due to making it at home I decided to make my own single layer board design to keep the board easy to make.

A couple of people have asked for the design so I am posting it here (finally!) so they and others can make their own boards if they so wish.

All I ask is for a post on this thread saying thanks. You could also post a photo of your finished TV-B-Gone. :wink: Any other questions besides those already posted, just ask!

The design was made in KiCAD but if you don't have KiCAD or don't want to install it you can open the .PHO file in any program which supports Gerber. (you may need to change the file extension to .GBR or whatever your program is expecting.)

Important Note - Transistor Orientation:
You may notice when you open the design file that the transistors are facing the opposite way than in my photo.

This is because I put them in using a C-B-E pinout when my real transistors have an E-B-C pinout. This is not a problem, all I had to do was install them facing the other way.

I decided not to fix this 'error' since people may be using other transistors and some may be using a C-B-E pinout which will actually fit the design.

So, When you are making it yourself, check your transistor's pinouts, and install them appropriately.

Hint: C-B-E transistors will have the flat side face away from the LEDs, E-B-C transistors will face towards the LEDs.

FAQ:
Question: You said the design is single sided but when I opened your board it has tracks on the component side!
Answer: Yes the design does have component side tracks but these are not meant to be made. As you can see from my photos they are replaced with wire links.

Question: If I make this board myself and use a blank ATTiny-85v how do I program it?
Answer: Use one of many AVR-ISP programmers available. I used the PPPPD. In my case since the PPPPD takes power from the target board I needed to power the TV-B-Gone from 5 volts so the programmer would recognize the chip (USB port works great). Other programmers may supply their own power.
Note: When programming using ISP header, only connect the AVR, Resonator, Capacitors and Wire links, otherwise programming may fail. Add the other components afterwards

Question: Ladyada's design uses a 6-Pin ISP header but you have used a 10-Pin. My programmer is 6-Pin and now I can't use it! Why did you do this?
Answer: I built my own programmer from the design as above, and it uses 10-Pin rather than 6-Pin. I built the programmer long before I attempted the TV-B-Gone. For anyone using a 6-Pin programmer I have created a 2nd design just for you (at the cost of 2 extra wire links)
Attachments
TVBGONE.zip
(120.73 KiB) Downloaded 1916 times
TVBGONE_6PIN.zip
(123.46 KiB) Downloaded 1265 times
IMG_3832.JPG
IMG_3832.JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
Last edited by Agent24 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

westfw

Re: My Single-Sided TV-B-Gone layout available for download!

Post by westfw »

Ah hah. I've noticed that the 6-pin programming connector is a real pain to route a PCB for; I didn't realize that the 10pin was actually easier! I guess there is an excuse for the extra pins?

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

It may have been possible to do with less links but I didn't feel like spending too much time on it.

The 10-pin interface has more ground wires so I expect it may be less susceptible to interference...

cornz

Post by cornz »

Thanks for this, however, could you possibly post a BMP or a jpeg of the boards for those of us whom dont have all the pcb cad software etc and make boards using transfers and etch pens.
Thanks.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

I have updated the ZIP files to contain the artwork in PostScript, SVG and PNG format. Also included is a 3x larger PNG for better viewing.

I would still recommend viewing the files in KiCAD though. KiCAD is free, and works on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX so just about anyone can use it :)

In any case, I hope the new files are useful to you!

thexplanet

Post by thexplanet »

Hello & Greetings!!!

It is good to see the single layer PCB design in the forum,

I am yet to receive the Programmer and other stuff which i had ordered, once i get them, i will surely update you as well some pics for this as well.

Thanks again :-))

cornz

Post by cornz »

Many thanks for adding the PNG files, makes it easier for me and my old school PCB production methods.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

No worries, hope they work out for you.

You probably already know this but I'll say it just in case: The PNG shows the trackwork as would be viewed from the component side, as if looking through the board. You will need to mirror the image if you want it the correct way, of course.

Should be fairly obvious when comparing it to my photo, though.

nickcasement

eu pull down resistor

Post by nickcasement »

sorry to bring up an old thread but dose this have the 10k pull down resistor for eu tvs

cheers
nick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”