can I turn a noisy neighbour's tv off or down with this kit?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bananaman

can I turn a noisy neighbour's tv off or down with this kit?

Post by bananaman »

i have an upstairs neighbour whose tv is often on very loud.
Can i use the device to turn off or turn the volume down on her television?
I don't have sight of her tv.
Could I try bouncing the beam in through her window and off her walls onto the tv or would the beam go through my ceiling into her living room?
I am guessing that this works like a tv remote so that my hopes may be futile.

Best of all would be if I could turn the volume down without her noticing.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: can I turn a noisy neighbour's tv off or down with this kit?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The beam might bounce a bit off of reflective surfaces, but it definitely won't go through walls or ceilings.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

i have an upstairs neighbour whose tv is often on very loud.
Try banging on the ceiling with a broom. (It works in the cartoons.)

Philly

Post by Philly »

A cheaper option is to go upstairs and ask her to turn it down a touch ;)

I once had a really noisy neighbour(all night banging and shouting fuelled by drink and BANNED) and their stereo was playing all night on one of my only nights off that month. I knocked and asked them to turn it down, got laughed at and the stereo got louder so I thought screw it. I went downstairs to the main fuse panel for the building and stole their fuse, then applied my own lock to the cupboard to prevent them stealing mine :D

But remember, revenge/retalliation is only for when the neighbour is an arse and refuses to adjust the volume.

mitpatterson

Post by mitpatterson »

of if its that bad and asking them to turn it down/off makes it worse or does nothing, you can always consider calling the police, or building manger, most areas and buildings have regulations regarding noise levels and they will normally be told to turn it down and sometimes even get hit with a fine, and when you ask them to turn it down and they laugh, maybe even mention that if they don't you will call the police/building manager

tytower

Post by tytower »

If you can gain access when no-one is there then you might be able to plant a TV begone on top of a cupboard or somewhere not obvious pointing at the TV. You will need a bit of cunning here as you will also need to build and attach a remote uhf switch so you can operate the TV begone from downstairs.

Then you could turn it off each time they turn it on and they will quickly give up and put it in the shop for fixing which will give you a weeks break and them a bill. Let it go for a while when it comes back and then do it again . Should give you hours of enjoyment

mitpatterson

Post by mitpatterson »

good idea tytower, giving ideas of some sort of unlawful entering of a residence, if they got caught that would be a nice fine/jail time. and have fun explaining to the police/judge why you have homemade electronics with you. sounds like a fun idea, but only way to pull it off would most likely be illegal(unless you could get invited up and then while they are distracted plant it

vxbinaca

Post by vxbinaca »

You could figure out where the TV is, bump his dead bolt open and then stick your arm in and aim the TVBG at the TV.

Edit:

This is of course mean't to be a joke. Involving the police works well too. And the super, that'll get him evicted. The fuse box was a nice touch touch. Simple and direct.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”