Green LED does not flash, bad chip?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zisme

Green LED does not flash, bad chip?

Post by zisme »

Agent24 wrote:Is the IC in the socket around the right way? Are any pins bent up underneath instead of in the socket?
Hello,

I too just received a TV-B-Gone. After performing the first part of the assembly and doing the initial test, the green LED failed to light. I have checked and rechecked the board for problems (shorts, bad solder connections, etc.) and have found none. I am using new alkaline batteries which measure 3.3 volts at the board. The chip, LED and all other parts are installed correctly with proper orientation and no bent pins, etc. I checked with an oscilloscope (X10 probe) and the oscillator is not running even when the push-button is pressed. The supply pins look ok and the switch input is changing when pressed. Also, I noticed that both OSC pins appear open or at a logic low level all the time. Maybe the processor is bad or programmed wrong, so I sent an e-mail to the support address above to request a new chip. They responded with a message saying that I need to post it here to get help. What gives??? Will Adafruit replace the chip? If so, how do I go about requesting one? Can you guys suggest any other things that would be causing the problem?

Thanks, zisme

adafruit

Re: Green LED does not flash

Post by adafruit »

zisme, please post a photo of the top and bottom of your PCB

zisme

Re: Green LED does not flash

Post by zisme »

adafruit wrote:zisme, please post a photo of the top and bottom of your PCB
Here are the photos: (As you can see, I went ahead and finished the board,but still does not work.)

adafruit

Re: Green LED does not flash, bad chip?

Post by adafruit »

yeah, please email support@adafruit - it may be a bad chip, make sure to send a link to this forum post - thanks.

Alan3d

Post by Alan3d »

I assumed there was some testing of the chips before they went out but maybe that is the problem.
I have yet to receive a response from Adafruit about the continuing problem with the board.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Alan, that is not correct, we have assisted you many times and continue to do so (you can see the responses here: http://forums.adafruit.com/search.php?a ... 7&sr=posts). we program and test all chips, as you can see this from other messages it often has nothing to do with a chip. do not respond in other peoples threads while we are helping them, thank you.

Alan3d

Post by Alan3d »

Sorry about that. I got an email directing me to this post.
I had yet to hear from you folks when I left that post.
No dis ment.

zisme

Post by zisme »

adafruit wrote:yeah, please email support@adafruit - it may be a bad chip, make sure to send a link to this forum post - thanks.
I received the new chip you sent me today. That was the problem, it now works great! Thanks for the support and thanks for a really nice kit. I am amazed at the distance you get with this circuit. Thanks again...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”