IR Jammer Combination

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jedidove

IR Jammer Combination

Post by jedidove »

As I've alluded to in 2 other threads now, I've been considering trying to integrate IR jamming code into the TV-B-Gone. For some reason, I have the feeling that I'm not supposed to link to outside projects so I won't just in case (someone please confirm or deny this), but I've seen such devices/kits before on popular sites. One in particular bears a close resemblance to the tvbgone kit. As far as I can tell, the concept is that it emits noise in the typical IR code frequencies through the LEDs to prevent other remotes from functioning. So it seems like all that would have to be done is to add some code to the tvbgone, and a way to trigger the jamming.

I was considering a new board and adding switches etc. but I got to thinking about how it might be done with the stock kit. My idea is to put a small 2 lead switch (like a "1-position" DIP switch) in the slot for the US/EU 10K resistor. By turning the switch on, it would ground the MISO pin and tell the chip to operate in Euro mode. Then, just reprogram the chip so Euro mode means to emit the random IR noise for say 30 seconds to a minute while blinking the indicator LED as normal. The ideal operation would be to put it in US mode, hit the button, and then as soon as the TV in question turns off you would flip the switch and hit the button again to reset into Euro mode and begin jamming so that no one could turn the TV back on with a remote. This would also keep the device from wastefully running through the rest of the code when the TV you cared about is already turned off.

One big question is how the current code would act if the MISO pin was grounded in the middle of operation. Would there be an issue or does it ignore that until it's reset again? The latter would be the perfect situation.

jedidove

Re: IR Jammer Combination

Post by jedidove »

Bump

The other main concern is the necessity of a pull down resistance for grounding the US/EU pin. Would a switch suffice?

adafruit

Re: IR Jammer Combination

Post by adafruit »

yes either is fine

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”