Green LED not flashing on test

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Overland1

Green LED not flashing on test

Post by Overland1 »

After receiving the kit last week, I installed the parts (switch, cap, resistor, oscillator, socket and chip, green LED battery holder and battery) as instructed up to and including batteries. Although certain that I installed the green LED correctly, I am unsure of what else is wrong as the green LED does not flash after inserting the battery. I removed the LED to test it, and found it would not light when connected to a 3 VDC source.

Realizing the odds of having a faulty LED are rare, is there something else I should also look for here?

Any ideas are appreciated; Thanks in advance.

Overland1

Re: Green LED not flashing on test

Post by Overland1 »

I replaced the LED with a different one that is known to be working the the problem continues. Now I am wondering if the PC Board has a missing or faulty trace.... and/or maybe the IC is not working as well??? :(

Using a fairly low wattage Weller soldering iron (set to 600 watts), but maybe 600 watts is not low enough.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

600 watts? That would probably obliterate any board - I think you meant to say 600° Fahrenheit :wink:
It should be OK. But if any joint looks suspect, resolder it. (I use mine on 350°C, try 650°F on yours)

However, some recent kits were sent with a badly programmed microcontroller and this may be the cause of your problems

You could either reprogram it yourself or contact Adafruit for a new one

Overland1

Post by Overland1 »

Sorry... I should have typed "degrees" - was thinking of something else. :oops:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

does the kit work otherwise?

Overland1

Post by Overland1 »

I stopped assembly and posted here when it failed the green LED test. I installed a new green LED and noticed the trace on the board from the negative side of the LED to R5 was not connected (bad pad on the PCB), so I placed a bridge wire following that trace. Still no joy.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

why dont you keep going just in case, and post up a -clear- photo of what you're talking about so we can help debug

Overland1

Post by Overland1 »

Added a few more components and got it to do what I expected.

Thanks for the assist.

Overland1

Update (sort of)... :)

Post by Overland1 »

The kit was pretty messed up, and I became far too busy to even mess with it. A while later, when I finally got some spare time and a small PanaVise (Model #209) to hold the board so I could more precisely solder the 60+ joints, I got another kit and it immediately worked as it was designed. :D

Recommendation: get a Panavise and use it. :mrgreen:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”