Replacing the controller

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mb345

Replacing the controller

Post by mb345 »

Hello everybody.

I burned the controller on my TV-B-Gone kit because I used a power supply instead of batteries but didn't limit the current.
(So everybody, be warned to carefully control the maximum current if you use a power supply!)
This was some time ago, so it's a V1.1 kit.

Now I thought I'd dig it out again and give it a try and replace the ATTINY which I'll certainly have to reprogram but that should be doable.
But the only source that I found where I can get one in Germany with decent shipping costs is from Reichelt (http://www.reichelt.de).
Now they don't have a 85V-10PU, only a 85-20PU, 45V-10PU or 85V-10SU (and many more types which are not relevant).

From reading the data sheet, I understand that the 45 series has only 4k of Flash. Would that still be enough for the TV-B-Gone 1.1 program code?
The 85-20PU has a voltage range of 2.7 - 5.5 V which is most probably not good with 2 AA batteries (and I don't want to use 3).

Is it maybe the best solution to get the 85V-10SU? It should be possible to mount it although it's SMD.
What do you guys think?
Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,
Markus

adafruit

Re: Replacing the controller

Post by adafruit »

you will need an 85 chip
85v is best, others may work but not guaranteed
we also have replacement chips in the shop here

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

You could use the SMD version with an adapter board such as these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2sets-SOIC-DIP8-PCB ... 0414230426

mb345

Post by mb345 »

Thanks for the quick replies.

So I'll get a 85V-10SU from Reichelt.

Thanks for the hint that controllers are available from the shop (I was asn't aware of that), but shipping cost to Germany would be 7.80 $ and I think that's a slow shipping variant as there is another one for about 20 $...

Also thanks for the hint to the adapter, maybe I can find that here as well. Or I'll make something similar myself, I think I have some SMD experimental board lying around where I can cut a piece off.

One more question: Can use a 1.2 software with my 1.1 hardware?

So long,
Markus

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

Not directly, as the hardware is different - you would need to modify the firmware first, what exactly you would need to change I do not know, but something to do with the LED driving pins (v1.2 only uses 1 pin vs 2 pins in v1.1) and then there's the EU\US code selection resistor which doesn't exist in v1.1

Possible, I am sure, but I have never written any AVR code.

richms

Post by richms »

I have used an 8pin DIP socket in the past to convert a surface mount chip to DIP - hot glued it in the middle and then soldered wires between the pins and the pins of the socket. tiny, messy, but will get you working hopefully.

vxbinaca

Post by vxbinaca »

What about the 85-20PU? Skimming the specs the only difference I can see is this runs at 20mhz instead of 10. Doesn't the crystal slow it to 8 no matter what? If the pinouts and requirements are the same, it should work as a drop-in replacement.

Thing is, eBay has these but not the 10PU's and Mouser's prices are higher plus the shipping. I only wanted like 10 or so units.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

vxbinaca wrote:What about the 85-20PU? Skimming the specs the only difference I can see is this runs at 20mhz instead of 10. Doesn't the crystal slow it to 8 no matter what? If the pinouts and requirements are the same, it should work as a drop-in replacement.
As far as the frequency is concerned you are correct. However there is another difference, that of the operating voltage range.

It's 1.8 - 5.5V for ATtiny25V/45V/85V but only 2.7 - 5.5V for ATtiny25/45/85

The TV-B-Gone needs to use the V version which can handle the lower voltage, as the current draw on the circuit is quite high - the standard version can reset during operation because the voltage can fall below 2.7v.

Of course if you have a high capacity power supply\battery then you would probably be fine using the standard part.

vxbinaca

Post by vxbinaca »

Agent24, What about if I use a 3/4 AA pack with the 20PU? Would that work?

Also, the ATtiny85v-10SU is more expensive than the thorough-hole version. Weird. I just ordered 25 PU's recently and flashed them all in one sitting and put them back in the tube. Mouser doesn't really offer good deals on these chips.

I wonder if there is a BGA version of any of these chips.

Agent24

Post by Agent24 »

vxbinaca wrote:Agent24, What about if I use a 3/4 AA pack with the 20PU? Would that work?

I wonder if there is a BGA version of any of these chips.
Not sure what you mean by 3/4 AA...

I expect there is no point in BGA for an 8-pin device... SOIC is probably small enough for most people and I doubt they want to spend extra money to make a BGA IC that tiny. (I may be wrong)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”