Yet another battery question.

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
salem

Yet another battery question.

Post by salem »

So I'm putting my tv-b-gone kit in an odd enclosure. Due to size and space constraints, a pair of AA batteries isn't going to work for me. I've tested my kit with a cr-123a and it appears to function just fine.

My question is what can I expect for performance and life using this type of battery? I know that alkaline is recommended and these are lithium but given my project enclosure, I'm stuck with something of this form factor.

This is actually my first project of this kind and so I'm guessing this may be a bit of a stupid question, but I'm an absolute noob with electronics.

Thanks for any insight.

Agent24

Re: Yet another battery question.

Post by Agent24 »

According to Wikipedia, a Lithium CR-123A will be 3v at 1500mAh

3v is just fine for the TV-B-Gone (The standard two AA cells work out at 3v) just make sure you don't go above the upper voltage limit of the ATTiny85v which is 5.5v

At 1500mAh the Lithium CR-123A has a lower capacity than an Alkaline AA's 2700mAh but all that should mean is that it'll only last half as long.

If you want to fix that you could put two of the CR-123A in parallel (but make sure not in series as that would give you 6v and destroy the MCU)

salem

Re: Yet another battery question.

Post by salem »

Awesome, thanks for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”