Test Failed. What's Wrong?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Joanne

Test Failed. What's Wrong?

Post by Joanne »

I recently purchased a TV-B-Gone kit version 1.2.
A component had not been included in the kit but it was quickly sent it to me.
My husband is a former IBM engineer and well acquainted with breadboarding and soldering.
He assembled the kit according to instructions and got to the first test.
He inserted the batteries. The green led did not come on.
Again, according to instructions, he checked the polarity of the led and made sure that the microcontroller was inserted properly. The dot was difficult to see but it was there.
The batteries were fresh.
According to his diagnosis, the microcontroller is either not programmed correctly or defective.
What now?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Test Failed. What's Wrong?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you post photos of the front & back of the board we can double-check your assembly.

Also, if you have a meter, measure the voltage between ground & the '+' leg of the LED.

Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Ok, my husband measured the voltage between ground and the positive side of the green LED. It measures slightly more than 2 volts. (2v).

I've taken pictures of the board. How do I post photos?

adafruit_support_bill

Hmm. Looking at the schematic, the positive side of the LED should be at VCC. What do you measure across the battery terminals?

You can post photos using the "Upload attachment" tab below the edit window.

Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Here are the photos.
Attachments
DSC02179.JPG
DSC02179.JPG (660.02 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
DSC02177.JPG
DSC02177.JPG (726.45 KiB) Viewed 2384 times

adafruit_support_bill

On the back side, there are some problems with the soldering. You need to solder all 8 legs of the microprocessor socket. You have 4 with little or no solder and 2 that could use more. Also, some of your solder joints have a 'frosty' appearance indicating that the solder didn't flow properly (a 'cold joint'). Use a clean hot iron and re-flow any joints that are not smooth and shiny. If you are using a low-powered iron (<25 watts) you should pause a bit between joints to let it heat up again.

On the front side, your microcontroller is in backwards. Powering it up this way may have damaged the processor, but fix up the soldering and turn the microcontroller around and test it again. If you can't get it going, we do have replacement microcontrollers in the store.

Excellent photos by the way :D I wish they were all that well lit and focused!

Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Well, my husband says to order another microcontroller, so I will do that.

He said to please be sure the dot that helps orient the microcontroller is visible, because it was a pinprick before and he could barely see it.

I would like to ask you--how can you tell it is upside down from this photo? If I know that, I'm sure we can get it right this time!

I guess we should have assembled it as a team effort. My husband is the electronics guy--but I have better eyes!

Thanks for your help.

Joanne

Post by Joanne »

I could be missing the obvious here. Is the dot my husbands talks about that indentation in the lower left corner? If so, can I assume it goes in the upper right corner?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Joanne wrote:I could be missing the obvious here. Is the dot my husbands talks about that indentation in the lower left corner? If so, can I assume it goes in the upper right corner?
thats right!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”