Advice on housing the assembled TV-B-Gone kit??

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ScatteredFrog

Advice on housing the assembled TV-B-Gone kit??

Post by ScatteredFrog »

So...I put together the kit at the HOPE convention this summer. In August I dropped it while getting out of my car and the battery holder cracked on the curb, meaning I had to use electrical tape or duct tape to hold it together...

Anyhoo...today I got a 3-AAA holder, desoldered the original battery holder, and attached the 3-AAA holder. BTW, you folks weren't kidding when you said three batteries would make it more powerful -- I tested the newly-reassembled 3-AAA TV-B-Gone by going into the living room, aiming it at our Sony Bravia just a few feet away, and not only did it turn off that TV, but it also turned ON our kitchen TV, and the beam wasn't anywhere near the hallway leading to the kitchen! Holy cow!

Now, I'm looking for a way to house this thing. I originally planned to put it inside my old iPod Video that I accidentally fried a few years ago...but even after gutting the thing, the battery holder was a few millimeters too thick to fit. If it weren't for that, though, the fit would be almost perfect -- the four LEDs almost line up perfectly with the connector slot on the bottom of the iPod, the "Menu" button on the rotary thingy could align itself with the TV-B-Gone activator, and the battery holder would fit horizontally under the screen. Unfortunately, it's not to be.

How else can I house this?? I'd like it to be subtle...

Only thing I can think of right now is an Altoids tin...I know, that's so cliche in hardware hacking...but if I were to do that, how could I punch a hole and cut a slot for the IR LEDs??

Thoughts???

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Advice on housing the assembled TV-B-Gone kit??

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

People have done all sorts of things with the TV-B-Gone. Hiding it in hats, jackets, phone cases etc. If you search the blog you should find several good examples.

For working with mint tins, you can do a lot with tin-snips, but a hand drill and a nibbler tool will usually give much better looking results. Dremel tools are good too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”