Resistor jumper programming mod -- Solution!

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JamesTheGreat

Resistor jumper programming mod -- Solution!

Post by JamesTheGreat »

I have been reprogramming my TV-B-Gone multiple times, and I didn't want to solder/unsolder the resistor each time.

I used an NC switch on the first kit, but on the second one I soldered one of the leads I trimmed from the LED in the one side, soldered one end of the resistor in the other, and put a jumper over both of them.
Without jumper
Without jumper
2013-08-16 00.27.37.jpg (486.39 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
While it is generally a bad idea to have bare metal exposed, the jumper protects the parts most likely to hit something else.

If you are worried about it falling off, you can not trim the ends and just bend them over the top(locking the jumper in place).

Now when I want to reprogram the chip, I just remove the jumper, and slide it back when I am done.

I didn't see this solution anywhere else, so I thought I would post it here. Lady Ada, feel free to include the instructions and a jumper in the next version of the kit. :)

Jim
Jumper in place
Jumper in place
2013-08-16 00.27.15.jpg (497.89 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Resistor jumper programming mod -- Solution!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Nice idea! Thanks for posting. :D

Renegad87

Re: Resistor jumper programming mod -- Solution!

Post by Renegad87 »

Hi,
I'm very new to programming micro controllers and my experience is mainly with the PIC family. I have a question, why is it required to program the chip in the circuit? Is it just to keep the external oscillator in the loop or is there another reason?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”