Working on various TV-B-Gone Concealments, ideas welcome.

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
samirsky

Re: Working on various TV-B-Gone Concealments, ideas welcome.

Post by samirsky »

Here is my cell phone version:
I found this old cell phone someone was throwing away (check any bin where dead batteries are collected).
I just gutted the phone, drilled holes for the LEDs, put in a paper screen image, and used silicon adhesive (doesn't conduct electricity) to hold in the circuit board and battery holder. The rubber band is not necessary (the silicon holds the battery pack in), but I added it for extra security.

The phone is old enough that it is big enough to hold a 3xAA battery holder; fit quite nicely actually. I used the 3xAA for the extended range on my TV-B-Gone.
For the fake screen, I just printed out an image of a nokia screen from a web image.
IMG_5958lowres.jpg
IMG_5958lowres.jpg (163.28 KiB) Viewed 6368 times
IMG_5954lowres.jpg
IMG_5954lowres.jpg (246.51 KiB) Viewed 6374 times

fredk

Post by fredk »

I just completed mine. I used the radioshack 1"x2"x3" box. I put the activity LED in the back since I usually walk away from TVs I want to turn off. Shown here with the commercial remote TV B Gone.
Attachments
b.jpg
b.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 6217 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 6217 times

cybyfox

Post by cybyfox »

In a deck of cards. Its blurry, but you get the gist.

jrblast

Post by jrblast »

DealExtreme has Gameboy Advanced SP replacement cases for about $4, you could easily mod it into one of those.

totalsam

Post by totalsam »

The TV b Gone I made with a colleague. Fantastic ! The housing is from a bicycle light. A lens for the LED is included, the switch is here as well as the battery holder and there's even space for the indicator LED !! We just had to redesign the PCB to make it fit the original one.

LED is a SFH 4231, and we push 1.3 Amps in it (that's why you can see a wire in the picture)
Attachments
The TV b Gone. Impossible to guess that this thing can turn off TVs !
The TV b Gone. Impossible to guess that this thing can turn off TVs !
17072009066.jpg (85.93 KiB) Viewed 5691 times
Device opened : almost everything is SMD, including the LED and the microcontroller. Also notice the connector for reprogramming.
Device opened : almost everything is SMD, including the LED and the microcontroller. Also notice the connector for reprogramming.
17072009067.jpg (115.46 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
The button already exists in the design !
The button already exists in the design !
17072009069.jpg (84.06 KiB) Viewed 5688 times

sbz42

Post by sbz42 »

Do I get bonus points for eating all the mints at once?
Attachments
tvbg2.jpg
tvbg2.jpg (104.05 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
tvbg1.jpg
tvbg1.jpg (104.96 KiB) Viewed 5502 times

jwsk

Post by jwsk »

check out my new versions.
the tie pin:

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13254

phineasgage

Post by phineasgage »

Posted some pics of TVBG in a old cell phone I gutted and powered with a cell phone battery that I can remove and recharge.

By rockodspirito

captainfuture81

Post by captainfuture81 »

Toastor wrote:Hi there,

just registered to this forum. And what would be a better start than posting my TV-B-Gone concealment? :)

The idea to hide it in a cell phone is obviously not mine, but its equally obviously a very good one. People are used to see other people fumbling around with their phones in public nowadays more than anything. So it is very relaxing to have a TV-B-Gone that looks like a phone.

I wanted mine to look as real as possible. I figured my old Sony Ericsson K700i had the right size. After all of the original electronics were removed there was almost no need to alter the housing. Two plastic walls formerly holding the camera had to go to make room for the controller and capacitor. There was already an openig at the top end where the original IR communication diode was, almost big enough for the tvbgone IR emitters. Just needed to scrape a tiny amount of plastic from the edges.
I didn't solder the button and indicator led to the pcb, but soldered some wire in between. Now the led is where the phones connector used to be (little green spot on bottom right image). Instead of using the original button I bought a slightly larger one and glued it underneath the keypad. The navi-stick is now the trigger for the tvbgone. Just push! :)
The red stuff on the bottom right image is some sort of rubber foam (sorry, don't know the english word for it). It's U-shaped and pushing the keypad against the front cover to keep it in place.
The original display was too thick so I replaced with a piece of the tvbgone-kits anti-static packaging which I glued to some black cardboard. Luckily that creates almost the same dark grey shiny appearance, except for some bumps (It looks smoother in reality than on the pictures).

Now for the best part: The tvbgone is using the phones original battery! :)
At first I wanted to use three AAA batteries. But they wouldn't have fit into the battery compartment and I didn't want to cut it out for numerous reasons. Making a good connection to the battery was tricky because of the little space left and I wanted the battery to be removable. It has to be recharged outside of the unit (using the original phone mainboard and display).

Unfortunately keeping the original battery made the IR emitters stick out quite far. The pcb cannot be moved further into the phone because the controller collides with the battery compartment. Maybe a new pcb will solve that in the future.

For now I am quite happy with the result.

Hope you like it! Sorry for my bad english and the fact that I have no photos showing the interior! I'll take some pictures the next time I'm opening it.

cheers,
david
Hi David,

please tell me how dir you do this? I want to build that too. Can you show me how this works?

Thanks!

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

Nice work, David. And by using the original batteries, you probably have a TV-B-Gone remote that can turn off TVs from even further away than by using the two AA batteries the kit comes with (since LiPo batteries can supply way more current). Thanks for turning off lots of TVs!

Cheers,
Mitch.

exapod

Post by exapod »

I built a tv-b-gone inside an old nokia you can see the photo on the bottom of this forum post http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/vi ... 096#p41088

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

Nice work, exapod!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”