Exchanging model

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dragonuv

Exchanging model

Post by dragonuv »

Hi, I got the kit today after 9 days which is quite impressive and very fast, thank you :)
but in the paper with the shipping details it says the model is "N. America\Asia v1.1" and im not quite sure this is the TV's models here (Israel), I think the common model here is european, is there any way I can exchange my kit with a european kit?

Thanks.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

"The TV-B-Gone kit is what you need! This ultra-high-power, open source kit version of the popular TV-B-Gone is fun to make and even more fun to use. This version is best used in countries with NTSC: North America & Asia."

Israel isnt in North america or Asia, and doesnt use NTSC so, no, its not going to work. At this time there is no European/Middle East model although some people on this forum are hacking one together...

dragonuv

Post by dragonuv »

i already soldered the kit just in case it does works on the TV's in my country and the device works! it worked on 90% of the TV's that I tested (other 10% were made in europe) I guess israel DO use NTSC of North America or Asia.
i cant wait to go to the mall and test it :P

By the way, ive seen in the forum some people that got the code of the device, how can i get it and modify it?
Thanks very much.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm, interesting. good to know, although israel -does- use PAL like most of europe. it could be that newer imported TVs have the same remotes but have just changed from NTSC to PAL using digital techniques. (that is to say, it used to be that NTSC and PAL tv's were very different but now that its so easy to switch between modes on a chip, they're not!)

mitch, what do you say???

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

The video style (such as NTSC and PAL) and IR codes used to control a TV are actually totally independent. Yet, TV manufacturers tend to use different IR codes on TVs manufactured in different locations around the world. (I think the reason for this is that the R&D departments in different locations don't talk to one another, and don't even share any of their technology.) Some manufacturers, however, such as Sony, have the same POWER code for almost all of the TVs they make, no matter where they are sold.

My experience in turning off TVs around the world (which is quite extensive by now!) is that about 50% of TVs in Europe are covered by the North American TV-B-Gone database, and vis-versa (whereas it is well over 90% if you use the "correct" database).

I haven't had first hand experience in Israel, but lots of Israelis have told me that the European TV-B-Gone works better there.

Interestingly, even though Japan uses PAL video, the North American TV-B-Gone database works best there.

Mitch.

GeekMan

Post by GeekMan »

ladyada wrote:(that is to say, it used to be that NTSC and PAL tv's were very different but now that its so easy to switch between modes on a chip, they're not!)

A lot of new TVs are switchable. I have a 15" Sharp LCD TV, and i can select PAL or NTSC via an on screen menu. Guess it's cheaper for them to make 1 TV that can handle PAL as well as NTSC, then to make 2 separate TVs for different geographical markets.

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

I guess now that TVs are digital this is more do-able without increasing cost much.

Whether TVs like this would use "European" or "North American" POWER codes probably mostly depends on who the manufacturer is. Some companies, such as RCA only make TVs for the North American market, and others, such as Telefunken, only make TVs for the European market.

Mitch.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”