Higher-Power IR Emitters?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dPen

Higher-Power IR Emitters?

Post by dPen »

I just ordered my Tv-Gone Kit and have recently come across a couple of high-powered IR emitters from another project I'm working on.

The emitters are Vishay's TSAL6100's(http://www.vishay.com/docs/81009/tsal6100.pdf)

They have a forward voltage of 1.36 min to 1.6 max. Would these work with the current voltage supplied by the batteries?
Or do I need to make a few changes to the circuit?

Thanks Much!

dPen

opossum

Post by opossum »

No circuit changes required.

Check this thread about the TSAL6100: http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4686

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i would strongly suggest using 3 AA batteries to provide the extra power these emitters may need

Probedude

Post by Probedude »

ladyada wrote:i would strongly suggest using 3 AA batteries to provide the extra power these emitters may need
Why would it be any different than the emitters you already use?
They may benefit from higher drive current but yours would too.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Probedude

Post by Probedude »

ladyada wrote:yes, its in the FAQ
http://www.ladyada.net/make/tvbgone/faq.html
That wasn't my question.

The original poster asked about the TSAL6100's and you said

"i would strongly suggest using 3 AA batteries to provide the extra power these emitters may need"

which I interpret to mean that you're saying that the TSAL6100's need the 3AA batteries but your Everlight emitters don't. Afterall if the 3AA's are necessary even for your Everlights you would have designed it that way.

That was my question - why do you say the TSAL6100's need 3AA batteries?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

er, i said that i suggest using them as they may be needed if the emitter draws a significantly larger amount of current or has a higher Vf (which is likely if it is a 'stronger' LED)

i didnt say they needed 3AA, just that it is a good idea if you're trying to get a lot more range.

YMMV!

bloodyserb

Post by bloodyserb »

Any need to change the resistors, or can I just swap out the LED's and battery holder?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you can keep the resistors as is

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

So there's no chance in damaging the circuit by using three?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

that is correct

nutt318

Post by nutt318 »

Ladyada, OK, this is my first post and I want to say this thing works awesome. Anyways I want to try to make it more powerful. I have been reading many post along with this one about using the TSAL6100 IR Diode as the most powerful one to use.

So my question is would it be best to use all 4 TSAL6100's and solder them into the spots of the current ones? Or would be be better to have 2 of the wide angle IR Diodes and 2 of the TSAL6100's? Also what are the current placements of the IR Diodes on the board?

Also I see that you recommend using 3 AA batteries. Let me know what you would recommend using.

Thanks,
Jake

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”