love it...:)

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
salsaman

love it...:)

Post by salsaman »

Oh the joy of the holidays. Stuck on Christmas Eve at Midway with flat panels in every direction tuned to CNN with Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, and more/worse belting out the classics, my ears bled-- I resolved never to travel without a TV-B-Gone.

Got the kit Monday and soldered it up-- takes about four seconds to get to my crappy old Samsung's code. I haven't used it for "good" yet, but it's handy at home when I have the TV on in the background-- nice to have a remote kill switch handy; I'll get more done!

Two thoughts:
1) It would be nice to have a "silencer" version that either sends "mute" or multiple "volume down" signals. Need to dig through the forum to see what people are doing with theirs...
2) Anybody have ideas about casing this up to avoid strange questions on the way to my flight?

stevemurphy

Enclosure ideas

Post by stevemurphy »

2) Anybody have ideas about casing this up to avoid strange questions on the way to my flight?
I think you might do well to go flashlight shopping, but the trouble you're going to run into is that there isn't going to be room inside most flashlights to put the TV-B-Gone circuit board. There might be more room available in rectangular-cased flashlights in which the batteries are placed side-by-side instead of end-to-end. Since you won't need a reflector you may be able to mount the board in its place. If you want to repurpose an existing flashlight Walgreens, Walmart and the dollar store are your friends.

I've seen the "wind up" type flashlights at Walgreens for as little as $5 before. If you took the generator assembly out and replaced the rechargeables with alkalines it might work. You ideally you could rig it so that the flashlight still worked so that if security asked you to turn it on you could. A little more conspicuous would be something like this: http://www.serpac.com/products_h-65-aa.htm (digikey has them here: http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/8336-b ... lmond.html)

Now this might be a bit obvious, but another idea is to use an old remote control. Ironically, most of them won't work, however, because they almost uniformly (irritatingly) use AAA batteries instead of the AA's needed for the TV-B-Gone.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”