Sow how are they making one go 300ft plus?

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

BANNED wrote:While I was at it, I figured I would make a firmware for this project too. http://www.BANNED.net/projects/tvbgone/tvbg_ehp.zip

Because of the schematic design, I decided to remove the blink disable code, because there would be at least one LED blinking no matter what. For this version, the world wide firmware version, has 117 of the 136/139 codes available of North America/Europe generation 3 database respectively.
Your makefile doesn't work

Code: Select all

make burn-fuse
Makefil:50: Extraneous text after 'else' directive
Makefile:52: *** only one 'else' per conditional. Stop.
Also, would you mind modifying your source code so that a double click will put it into sleep mode?

BUT! I assembled this today, and (after some confusion due to my leaving the jumper on program) tested it, and this thing is INSANE! You should get your boards fast, or I may just steal them (no that's not just me trying to get you to buy them, I'm totally serious about me stealing them! If it was legal in this state I would probably marry it! :))

maltman23

Post by maltman23 »

I've just been coming up for air (after lots of travel, and working on some deadlines for TV-B-Gone Pro and some other projects), and was pointed to this incredible thread. This is what hacking is all about! It is so cool to see a whole bunch of people working together and coming up with something really cool as a result. :) You guys totally rock! I hope you're turning off lots of TVs. :D

Mitch.

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

How many people have built one of these now I have only seen two.
Is everybody out turning tv's off as this forum has been a bit quiet lately :lol:

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Nutt318 built the original in the topic "Whoops, I think I messed up", so that makes three (or maybe four, he ordered two boards). By the way, have you gotten yours yet?

nutt318

Post by nutt318 »

Yea, I think I was the first one to get one working. I have mine and its working great. My only problem is I cant find a tv that is over 150ft feet away to test it on.

I need to make a trip to Nebraska furniture mart and test it out, there is some distance there.

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

No I have not got mine yet USA to UK post can take ages sometimes
I do have all the parts to stuff it when it arrives though :D
But I was slightly worried that I only have TSAL6100 led's and no wide angle versions.Every time I order a load of parts I always forget something

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

jasonx wrote:Every time I order a load of parts I always forget something
I hear you on that one. I had meant to also add in some FRAM chips to my mouser order, for another unrelated project, and forgot.

As for turning TVs off, that I have been doing. My last visit to "The Brick", I had their entire collection of TVs off in less than 2 minutes. Really helps that all they had for TVs was in the top 25% of the code list.

I_am_bad_at_this

Post by I_am_bad_at_this »

ok im just curious

well the new extreme tv b gone is AWESOME wont lie.

wat about ir lasers? Personally id go with 5mW cause u cant put anyones eye out. Id bet ud get amazing range. just the only thing is ud have to be super accurate-maybe put a red dot laser rite by and calibrate it so there rite by each other at the target (tv) and u mite wana use one of those shape things u put over a red dot laser to make a picture cause to i think will make your beam wider on the ir laser, i remember one that from 15 feet away it would make a circle on the wall 4" in diameter instead of the tiny dot.

i dont think u could use use this lik previous tv b gones cause this one would take really presise aiming. hmmm, maybe hold it like a gun and use a red dot laser to find the area on the tv. maybe put 4 narrow beam ir leds around the ir laser for medium range?

well just sharing personal experience with lasers cause i got this awesome green one that would go for like three miles (no, im not saying turning off a tv from tht range lol)

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

I_am_bad_at_this wrote:wat about ir lasers? Personally id go with 5mW cause u cant put anyones eye out.
Actually, even reflected lasers, if you are not careful, could put someone's eye out. Really, although a reflected visible 5mw laser is not likely to do so, because of a person's aversion reflex to bright lights, this aversion reflex unfortunately does not apply to invisible lasers, like infrared or ultraviolet light. because of this, if that infrared laser happens to be in just the wrong place at the wrong time, since the aversion reflex does not kick in, somebody could lose their eyesight. A normal IR LED diode on the other hand is far less likely than an IR laser to do that eye damage. the 5mw max rating for no eye damage, really only applies to visible lasers, not infrared lasers.

I_am_bad_at_this

wow never knew that. cool, ya i just remeber before getting a high power green one and did some research to find out 5mW is the least likely to put someone's eye out, so i went with that

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

You can get neat modules that have adjustable focus, and that could give you a nice combination of range+accuracy, but as said before, even weak IR lasers can be harmful. :o

I_am_bad_at_this

im really curious f u could use an ir laser as a tv b gone.

smart people: any ideas for a schematic, caus ei wonderin how ud wire it up and if u could.

i have a feelign it would be a lot more than 300 feet, just ud have to be very very acurate and find one with magicians focus, i know ive seen focuses on lasers befor3

rabbidator

Post by rabbidator »

I almost finisched mine one and it's need diodes. Will it work with 1N4007, because only these ones i can get? Any suggest for alternatives?

opossum

Post by opossum »

EHP Pro :)
  • Ten IR LEDs
  • Six AA Batteries
  • Five Mile Range

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

oPossum wrote:EHP Pro :)
  • Ten IR LEDs
  • Six AA Batteries
  • Five Mile Range
Ha ha...
That's... that's... a... joke... right?!

FIVE MILE?! That's not possible! Are you serious?!?! Naw.... How far is the distance really?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”