Help with TVBgone European Firmware

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
KateKat

Help with TVBgone European Firmware

Post by KateKat »

Hi,

We've built our TVBGone and it works just fine with the american software, after some mucking around with TinyUSBisp we've now managed to programe the v1.1 european software into the device, we had to remove the ucontroller from the board and program on a breadboard but it works fine, we can successfully swap back and forth between the two versions.

However whenever we load in the European 1.1 version from here:

http://www.BANNED.net/projects/tvbgo ... e_v1.1.zip

from this thread:

http://forums.ladyada.net/viewtopic.php ... one+europe

Then the led just flashes on/off constantly at around 1 hz, after a while it gets slower, looking at the IR LEDs with a digital camera shows that nothing is being transmitted, experimenting with the various click codes doesn't seem to do anything, except reset the LED flashing speed back to the faster rate. I've tried the .eep file from the source code file and that hasn't made any difference.

Programming is obviously OK as I can put the original american code software back in again and everything works as normal again.

Can anyone help..... pretty please.

Thanks

Kate.
Last edited by KateKat on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Hmmm. You need to put a message describing your problem, if you are to get some help solving it.

KateKat

Post by KateKat »

BANNED wrote:Hmmm. You need to put a message describing your problem, if you are to get some help solving it.
For some reason I dont understand the original post was invisible!!! I've deleted the url tags and it seems to have fixed the issue and its visible again.

Kate

KateKat

Post by KateKat »

I've been messing with the source code and found the bug that causing the endless flashing, its the code playing out the KeepTrack number.

KeepTrack is defined as a volatile int and should be defined as a volatile unsigned int as if it happens to initialise as a negative number when the code tries to flash the mode number it gets looped as the check on checks for >5 and not <0, the solution is the insigned int.

I'm still having problems as the device seems to reset as soon as it goes into the main loop.

I've tried merging Ladyada's initialisation code for checking battery insertion and brownout but the device goes immediately back to sleep, I'm not knowledgeable on the structure of the MCU yet to under stand what how and why.

Help...

Kate

KateKat

Post by KateKat »

I've found/fixed what I think are a number of other bugs in the initialisation code related to the defines for v1.0 & V1.1 and v1.1 on a v1.0 board, has anyone else actually got this working on a V1.1 board???

The TVBGone is now working to a point where it will actually run through the complete output cycle, however it doesnt turn our tv off like the American Software does.

Is there a software repository where I can upload the modified code for others to check (or use).

Thanks

Kate

KateKat

Post by KateKat »

It works, yay! It appears my toshiba TV isnt in the Euro code list, once I merged the USA tosh codes into the Euro codes and recompiled then it works..

YAY!!!

It even turns the Xbox off. There is still the occasional reset that is puzzling me, the device seems to just restart, neither the browout or battery trap are getting triggered, very puzzling, the batteries are new.

If anyone wants a copy of a working European v1.1 hex + source (or wishes to host the source) then please pm me.

Regards

Kate

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

File hosted at http://www.BANNED.net/projects/tvbgo ... ne_1.1.zip

Also built a seperate version for Hardware version 1.0. Its located at http://www.BANNED.net/projects/tvbgo ... ne_1.0.zip

In both of them, I have updated the North American database to a 121 code set, logged from my own TV-B-Gone.

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

Updated Both the 1.0 and 1.1 sets. Now there are three choices for each hardware version, rather than just two. The choices are All 136 Generation 3 NA codes, All 139 Generation 3 EU codes, or 109 each, of both region codes.

THe button click structure has changed, hopefully for the last time.

1 Click = 1 Loop of TV turn on/off.
2 Clicks = Infinite Looping of TV turn on/off. (This is turned off by double clicking.)
3 Clicks = Show User region setting. (1 Slow flash, 3 quick flashes if NA, or 1 Slow flash, 6 quick flashes if EU.)
4 Clicks = Show User stealth setting. (2 Slow flash, 3 quick flashes if Off, or 2 Slow flashes, 6 quick flashes if On)
5 Clicks = Change Region setting, then show user what it was changed to. (This has no effect on region specific firmware, but is here for operation consistency.)
6 Clicks = Change stealth setting, the show user what it was changed to.

Finally, most importantly, the reason for reset is shown, if the reason is not a direct result of pushing the button. These are shown as
4 quick flashes, 1 Slow flash, if Batteries are inserted,
4 quick flashes, 2 Slow flashes, if Batteries are possibly running low.
4 quick flahses, 3 Slow flashes, if the AVR locks up for any reason during code playback.

The links in the post above, are where to download this update.

hainrih

Post by hainrih »

BANNED: if I understood right, I just move all parts of the zip-package (without txt-files) to AVR using avrdude. Am I right?

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

The files you burn to your AVR, depends on if you want ALL 139 codes of the European region, All 136 codes of the North American region, or ~100 codes of both regions.

So, if you wish to have 139 european codes, you would burn tvbgone_eu.hex . If you want 136 North American/Asian codes, then you burn tvbgon_na.hex, However, if you want ~100 codes each, of both regions, then you burn tvbgone_world.hex

As it stands, I can only fit ~100 codes from both regions to the firmware, due to the fact, that space is limited to 8Kbs, and part of that space has to be the driver code. (In the current version, its 109 codes each.)

hainrih

Post by hainrih »

Thanks a lot. This is my first time using microcontroller and that´s why I asked those stupid questions. I´ll burn just the tvbgone_eu.hex.

Bronet

Post by Bronet »

hey..it is a very nice forum,here
however i have to apologize for my bad english.

but i've a question, too. Is there a posibility to burn more than only one firmware on the avr?
when i read the posts, i got the impression it is impossible.
can you explain to me, how to burn the three firmwares on the avr at the sime time.

thx

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”