I'm new - Basic Questions

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bladdo

I'm new - Basic Questions

Post by bladdo »

I just ordered my kit last night and I already have a small enclosure box in which I'll house my finished kit. I do however have a few questions probably basic knowledge to most of you but I don't really know:

1)Why are only 48 "power codes" used? Can't you reprogram it to have them all?

2)I know I'm gonna wanna order a different switch for it because the small push start goes off a bit to easy for my liking.... I was thinking of a toggle or a slider, I want it to be off/on, so I could kill the cycle after the tv goes off as well.... where would I find one of these/what specs should I look for? edit:and how do i know what points to solder, on the guide it shows 4 points to solder for the included button but the ones I'm looking at look like they only have 2 points to solder.

3)I see LED mounts in many people's finished kit enclosure, I'm thinking about buying a few because it looks like they greatly enhance the overall look.... are the chrome ones better than the plastic ones because they may reflect more light?

4)Is it worth replacing double AA holder with a 3 AAA holder for better range, how much better is the range?

5)Does anyone have a link to how to solder on the reprogrammer part, it seems I couldn't find it in the Make it guide... I know at some point I'm gonna wanna buy the reprogrammer and figure out how to reprogram it(this really intrestes me, I can interface with something I built :) ).

6)Is the placement of the IR leds of any importance? Could i place them in a circle or a square or do they have to be straight across to perform at best.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bladdo 8)

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

Hi blado
ok number
1=yes well a lot more than 48

2= your switch will have to be a momentary one with a separate switch to kill the power ( I think :? )

3=they look good but if they reflect more light I don't know

4= 3AA's would be best but no more

5= you may want to save the programmer socket if you have already built the kit (as you cant interface with a built kit unless you remove the resistors)
and make one of these http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=

6= straight will give you the most power in a straight line anything else would reduce the range

Please put me right if I am wrong on any of these :?:

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

The chrome style holders (in my opinion) make the device a little too non-discrete for me. Plus the IR LEDs are such a thin angle that very little light leaks out of the sides, so I don't think they would increase range at all.

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

jasonx wrote:Hi blado
ok number
1=yes well a lot more than 48

2= your switch will have to be a momentary one with a separate switch to kill the power ( I think :? )

3=they look good but if they reflect more light I don't know

4= 3AA's would be best but no more

5= you may want to save the programmer socket if you have already built the kit (as you cant interface with a built kit unless you remove the resistors)
and make one of these http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=

6= straight will give you the most power in a straight line anything else would reduce the range

Please put me right if I am wrong on any of these :?:
3AAA would be the same as 3AA right?
For the switch thing.... I'm guessing I could just get a on/off switch and wire it in before the included button, and that would disable the included switch from going on when it is off on one wire(pos/neg matter?).
And for the programmer I am pretty confused....I thought it was completly programmable? I have to do any changes before I install the resistors? :? Is it ever changeable after the resistors are installed, other than uninstalling them to reprogram it?
magician13134 wrote:The chrome style holders (in my opinion) make the device a little too non-discrete for me. Plus the IR LEDs are such a thin angle that very little light leaks out of the sides, so I don't think they would increase range at all.
Wouldn't decrease the range though right? No ones gonna no what it is either way at first :twisted:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”