Solid Green Light at Testing Phase :(

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bladdo

Solid Green Light at Testing Phase :(

Post by bladdo »

just got my tvbg, soldered up everything then got to the testing phase and once the batteries are in it shows a solid green light and the button doesnt respond or anything, just a solid green light whenever the batteries are in :X
whats wrong :(

rabbidator

Post by rabbidator »

I have this kind experience. Maybe chip backwards?

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

I tried the chip backwards in one of mine and I get no light at all

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

:X ahhh i need to figure this out :( tried ship both ways, one way = solid green, other = no light ;X

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if you post a nice, clear, non-blurry, sharp, in focus picture of the top and bottom of the kit, its probably something very simple to debug!

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

Here are some pictures, i believe i soldered correctly but anyway, difference i made from the step by step guide is that between the AA holder and circuit board i put a switch on the positive wire, so ideally when its done, you flip the switch then hit the button to initalize it(also flip the switch off to kill the cycle early). Also I soldered wires from the button included because its gonna go in a bigger case later....

http://bladdo.net/temp_tvbg/PICT0009.JPG
http://bladdo.net/temp_tvbg/PICT0010.JPG
http://bladdo.net/temp_tvbg/PICT0012.JPG
http://bladdo.net/temp_tvbg/PICT0014.JPG
http://bladdo.net/temp_tvbg/PICT0017.JPG

sorry in advance for any unclarity in pics :(

edit:: oh an it looks like there is a connection on the back of the board soldered from the oscilator to the socket, there isnt, that was just shutter lag
please help :cry:

caitsith2

Post by caitsith2 »

The chip is definitely backwards. If installed right, it is normal to not have light at all, if you just got the kit recently. You do have to activate the button first.

(It is possible for a program to detect that power was freshly applied to the chip, and do nothing if desired.)

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

BANNED wrote:The chip is definitely backwards. If installed right, it is normal to not have light at all, if you just got the kit recently. You do have to activate the button first.

(It is possible for a program to detect that power was freshly applied to the chip, and do nothing if desired.)
If i reverse the chip then it gives no light & the button does nothing either

Probedude

Post by Probedude »

My guess is that you have the wiring to the switch wrong and therefore you are keeping the chip in reset.

You flipped the chip around to give you the green LED but that's the wrong thing to do. Put it in correctly, then check the wiring of the switch. I think you've got it turned 90 degrees relative to the board.

Dave

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

nope i just assure switch is correct :(

Probedude

Post by Probedude »

Please take a picture further away so we can see how your switch is wired up.

As an experiment to make sure, disconnect the switch entirely and then power up your board to see if the green LED now blinks instead of staying dark.

Also check for solder bridging around the ceramic resonator leads. It's hard to tell from your pictures if you have a short there.

bladdo

Post by bladdo »

Probedude wrote:Please take a picture further away so we can see how your switch is wired up.

As an experiment to make sure, disconnect the switch entirely and then power up your board to see if the green LED now blinks instead of staying dark.

Also check for solder bridging around the ceramic resonator leads. It's hard to tell from your pictures if you have a short there.
Tried disconnecting the switch, nothing. I've been looking around for bridging I've fixed up a bunch, no difference though :/

I replaced the button too just to make sure it wasn't faulty or something, man i dont even know what to do now :X

Probedude

Post by Probedude »

Per your new pictures, your switch was indeed hooked up wrong. You did have it turned 90 degrees relative to how it is supposed to be installed on your PC board.

Sounds like you have more than one problem though since it doesn't work with the switch removed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”