More Power need help

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
theugleymonkey

More Power need help

Post by theugleymonkey »

I am power hungry could i connect more IR leds to the kit would that kill the power or what and would i get the same range just more angle or would i lose range thanks. my goal is to turn of a wall of tv's

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

there is a suggestion in the faq for getting more range
http://www.ladyada.net/make/tvbgone/faq.html
try that first

theugleymonkey

Post by theugleymonkey »

ok i add the 3 AA battery holder i like that it has a little more range but now angle can i add about 8 more IR leds to it. and what about a 4 AA battery holder or is that overkill

jasonx

Post by jasonx »

theugleymonkey wrote:ok i add the 3 AA battery holder i like that it has a little more range but now angle can i add about 8 more IR leds to it. and what about a 4 AA battery holder or is that overkill
You cant use more than 3AA batterys with the kit.
You want one of these it takes 4AA battery's

http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic ... 91a43aa498

http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5205

theugleymonkey

Post by theugleymonkey »

Thats cool but i was planning on making my own something like that ill post in the future if what i am going to make works and thanks. o and is he using the same chip that the regular one use. Also do i have to add anything extra to the regular kit if i wanted to add 4AA holder.

Probedude

Post by Probedude »

theugleymonkey wrote:Thats cool but i was planning on making my own something like that ill post in the future if what i am going to make works and thanks. o and is he using the same chip that the regular one use. Also do i have to add anything extra to the regular kit if i wanted to add 4AA holder.
Take a look at the schematic for that board for an idea of what you need to do to add more IR led's to the stock unit. You cannot just add more NPN trasistors and IR LED's since the atmel which is feeding the base lead of the transistors is current limited. Similarly you cannot just add IR led's in parallel to the existing ones for the same reason but also the differences in the forward voltage for the IR's.

What you need to do is in the schematic.

4AA holder gives too much voltage to the MCU - 6V with new AA's. Check the schematic for the unit Jason linked to to see how it was solved for that version.

theugleymonkey

Post by theugleymonkey »

ok thanks ill take a look at the schematics

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”