Well here it is, my TV-B-Gone EHP and a IR lens question

Get help and show off your TV-B-Gone kit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
IBeHoey

Well here it is, my TV-B-Gone EHP and a IR lens question

Post by IBeHoey »

Ive been working on this off and on for about 3 months now but its finally finished. Its based of a slightly modified version of oPossums schematic, the differences being a added power switch, no jumpers, a 680ohm resistor, and a battery pack of 5xAAA. I decided to hold off on posting it right away until I knew for sure it would work and after a months worth of testing, Its simply AWESOME!

The reason for taking 3 months to finish was a set back I had with my transistors. I originally used some scrap transistors I had gotten out of an old VCR, which had a collector rating of 150mA, and when applying 6 volts to the circuit, its was just to much for them to handle. As you can see in my pictures I soldered the LED, Transistor, and Resistor into one component so that I could fit 8 of them in a single roll and still allow it to be concealed in a BANNED pack. So having to go back and unsolder everything was a major, time consuming, task.

ImageImageImageImageImage
[Click the pictures for a larger image]

So here are the specs:
- 8x TSAL6100`s
- 2N2222 Transistors
- 7.5v (5xAAA soon to be a pair of 3.7v 1000mAh Lithium Ion)

I dont know the exact number for its range but so far its gone wall to wall at Target, parking lot (with doors open) to back wall of Bestbuy, and about 50ft from the inside of my pocket. I havent had much luck going through glass with it as it requires me to be almost right up on it for it to work, but thats no big deal, the range alone more than makes up for it. So far my best moment had to have been at the state fair this year. I was in the beer tent with a group of friends while the karaoke competition was going on and well, need I say more? The contestants were less than spectacular when they no longer could read the words off of the Sony flat panel displays. Hahaha, it was good times.

In the end, it was totally worth it. Id say I learned more about electronics building this project than Ive had all together over the past year, so thank you Ladyada for creating such a badass site, Mitch for the great idea of the TV-B-Gone, and oPossum for your schematic.

Oh yeah, ive got a question that I havent been able to find anything about on the web about the black/dark red IR lens thats used on remotes. Ive read that its used to block out unwanted wave lengths but does this have any effect on the beam its self in regards to its range? I scored a Palm Centro display phone from radio shack that im going to use as a case, and for aesthetic reasons, id like to use one of those lenses just so long as it dosent effect the range much.

exapod

Re: Well here it is, my TV-B-Gone EHP and a IR lens question

Post by exapod »

how you control the pn2222 transistor?WIth a PNP?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “TV-B-Gone Kit”