Problem using XBee and PIC18 (Please Help)

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
deltas316

Problem using XBee and PIC18 (Please Help)

Post by deltas316 »

Hey, I'm trying to connect my laptop and my PIC18F2550 micro controller wirelessly using two XBee 802.15.4. I previously used to connect my PIC18 using a serial to usb converter as seen on Image1 (The pictures are from the bottom up). What i would like to do is to eliminate the serial to usb converter cable and use the XBee modules to make the connection. The other images show the two modules. The problem I'm having is figuring out where to make the connection from the serial cables yellow and green cable as seen on Image1 to the XBee. Ive tried to connect it to Pin 20 and 19 however i didn't have any luck with it. I'm not sure if I'm setting it up wrong or how i'm suposed to set the pins options on the XBees. I would like to have real time feedback from the PIC18 to the laptop and be able to send commands in real time as well. With the serial to usb cable i was able to do that, however i need help with making it wireless. If anyone can help by perhaps providing a screen shot of the X-CTU's setup I'll appreciate it, but I'll take any advice as i am stuck at the moment. Thanks a lot for your time and hope to hear from anyone. :) (If anyone needs to see any other picture, please just post it.)
Attachments
Desired way of connection using XBee, missing connection from PIC18 to Xbee.
Desired way of connection using XBee, missing connection from PIC18 to Xbee.
IMG_1656.JPG (179.03 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Close up of Image1
Close up of Image1
IMG_1655.JPG (187.36 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Image1 Laptop to PIC18 connection using serial to USB.
Image1 Laptop to PIC18 connection using serial to USB.
Image1 (2).JPG (168.93 KiB) Viewed 4034 times

adafruit

Re: Problem using XBee and PIC18 (Please Help)

Post by adafruit »

this forum is primarily for adafruit customer support, so the post is being moved

deltas316

Post by deltas316 »

oh cool, dont bother mentioning a place where i might find help.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

huh? your post was moved to the general microcontroller support forum. if you're patient someone will likely come around and help. probably not me though cause im really out of date with PICs :)

trialex

Post by trialex »

I think the original poster was confused about the difference between the "forum" as a everything under the forums.ladyada.net domain, and each major section (e.g. electronics, supported projects) being their own "forum"

Ladyada didn't mean moving to another forum on a different website, she moved it to the correct section of the ladyada forums.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm, i wonder what each thingy should be called. i usually call this the forums and it has many forums in it such as the xbee forum. maybe subforum?

felis

Post by felis »

The wiring from 28pin PIC18 to Xbee is this:

PIC pin 17 AKA TX goes to Xbee pin 3 AKA DIN
PIC pin 18 AKA RX goes to Xbee pin 2 AKA DOUT

/felis

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”