Reprogramming VID/PID of a USB device

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Razerz

Reprogramming VID/PID of a USB device

Post by Razerz »

Hello all, first of all I have to say that I doesn't have a very great deal of knowledge about what I am asking about, so bear with me if you need more information or some clarification over something.

First some background:
I am scratchbuildling a computer chassis and (as everyone else) wants a couple of LCDs to monitor temperatures and generally show off ;)
So I went out and bought a LCD based on a HD44780 circuit. As I want to use this via USB (my motherboard doesn't have an parallel port) I also bought an interface board (this one) to allow me to plug it into an USB port.
I have soldered the interface board and the LCD together and got it working (via LCD Smartie).
But I want to use more than one display, in fact I want to use four of them, and after being in contact with the seller he told me I need to change the VID/PID number for the USB device, as well as make a change in the dll file allowing LCD Smartie to communicate with the display. The first part, he told me, must be made with an AVR programmer.
This is where it gets complicated, he doesn't have time to write a guide about how to change the firmware of the device, and I doesn't have much knowledge about it myself, though I think I can make it with the support from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Now, the questions:
First, does anyone have any idea of what I am talking about at all?
Second, and if so, do you think it is doable?
Third, if yes to last two questions, will I be able to use the USBtinyISP kit to reprogram the firmware?
And fourth, is there anyone that would like to try and help me out when I have ordered and assembled the programmer?

I think the interface board is based on the LCD2USB project, if it is any help.

Thanks for taking your time to read this
Regards
Razerz

adafruit

Re: Reprogramming VID/PID of a USB device

Post by adafruit »

yes that sounds like whats going on here. you will have to reburn the chip. but it doesnt look like there is a reprogramming header :/

Razerz

Post by Razerz »

I assume the reprogramming header is where I connect the cables from the programmer?
If so there are two connectors (I don't have the unit with me at the moment, but I think they are 6 and 10-pin, one of each). They aren't on the picture, but I have marked out where they are on the board I got.
Attachments
SGB1.jpg
SGB1.jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 7844 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

those are not ISP connections. they say D+ and D- that means USB connection

Razerz

Post by Razerz »

Ohh, that showed how much I knew about it :) Well, well, I assume it is rather hard to mod either the board or the programmer to accept another type of connection?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yup pretty much impossible

Razerz

Post by Razerz »

Okay, thanks anyway for trying to help me.

sorceress sarah

Post by sorceress sarah »

The pic is kinda blurry when you blow it up, but is that a JTAG over there near the rock?

Razerz

Post by Razerz »

You will have to excuse me, but whats a JTAG? (Some quick googling nets me the result that it is some kind of connection port, am I wrong?) I am going to take a wild shot and assume that "the rock" is the IC?

Razerz

Post by Razerz »

After some more searching: I do not have any JTAG connector, I have one 4-pin connector marked VBus D-D+ GND (I assume this is some kind of internal USB connector, as ladyada pointed out earlier.), I also have one 2-pin connector marked USB204B.V02 (Also some kind of USB? Though there seems to be too few pins?). I don't suppose it is possible to be able to upload a new firmware via one of those connectors?

popy

Post by popy »

Sorry for my bad english... I hope this helps...

This module have 5 connectors (see the attached image):

CN1: 18 pins, for the conection with the LCD. If you have a single controler display (8x2, 16x2, 20x2, 20x4), only the holes 3 to 18 are used. If you have a dual controller display (40x2, 40x4... usually, more than 20x4), only the holes 1 to 16 are used.

CN2: mini USB standard connector.

CN3: 2 pins (in the bottom left of PCB). Reserved for the backlight power (if needed for your LCD). The polarity is configured with JS1 to JS4.

CN4: USB signals (VBus, D-, D+, GND, in the upper left). Same that CN2.

CN5: 6 holes, in the bottom right. Probably is the connector for reprogramming the microcontroller. Pin2=VBus (+5V), and PIN6=GND. Contact with the seller for obtain the real pinout.

Jumpers SJ1 to SJ4: polarity of the backlight.
Jumpers SJ5 to SJ8: polarity of de LCD power.
Attachments
PCB.jpg
PCB.jpg (510.42 KiB) Viewed 7705 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

! that looks pretty good. use a multimeter to deduce the pinout!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”