Programming Attiny13's succeeds, but the programs don't run

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
worldgnat

Programming Attiny13's succeeds, but the programs don't run

Post by worldgnat »

So shortly after getting my USBTiny working, I began programming Attiny13's for a kit I'm designing. I had been programming for a few days, when today they just stopped programming. Avrdude did everything normally. The USBTiny has done everything normally. There are no errors, and from the output of Avrdude it would appear that the chip programmed normally. But when I plug in my microcontrollers, their behavior doesn't change.

At the moment I'm testing two identical Attiny13 IC's. One is programmed with a simple blink program, and the other is fresh out of the package. When I program the blinking IC with a sketch that does nothing, it still blinks. When I program the fresh IC with the blink program, it does nothing. I've quadruple checked my wiring, tried two different set-ups to program it (one is a icsp header with a circuit surrounding the IC, the other is just an icsp header connected to the pins on the IC with no other circuits around it), and they both behave the same way.

I've tried everything I can think of except hooking the programmer up to an Oscilloscope, but I don't have one.

This occurred after I tried to upload a sketch larger than 1k to one of the microcontrollers, but I don't see how this would stop the program from "taking."

Please help.

Thanks,
-Peter

adafruit

Re: Programming Attiny13's succeeds, but the programs don't run

Post by adafruit »

probably fuses, wiring, or power

worldgnat

Post by worldgnat »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked the wiring several times, and I'm not sure about fuses or power. I'll try hooking up an external power supply later tonight or tomorrow and see if that does it.

What can be done about the fuses? Avrdude says the fuses are "ok," but I don't really know what that means. Am I correct in saying that I need a high-voltage programmer for fuses? Or is it just the one (I forget what it's called) that prevents programming?

Cheers,
-Peter

worldgnat

Post by worldgnat »

I just found the solution. I was typing "make main.hex" to compile the code, but little did I now that this wasn't compiling everything. I think it was just compiling to assembly and naming the file "main.hex." I'm not sure how this uploaded, but evidently it did, and it obviously didn't work. I started typing "make", and things started working again. I've got some learning to do :).

Thanks,
-Peter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”