C programming references for AVRs

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mjlande

C programming references for AVRs

Post by mjlande »

I've been looking around for tutorials or resources on AVR C programming and I haven't been able to find anything besides small code snippets. Is the data sheet for a device the best resource? I've got plenty of C experience but basically I'd like an exhaustive resource that explains how to use the devices, their interrupts, A/Ds, etc. Anyways hope someone can help. Thanks.

westfw

Re: C programming references for AVRs

Post by westfw »

Try http://www.smileymicros.com ? He has a pretty good reputation. See the "workshop" links for samples...

Fjornir

Post by Fjornir »

mjlande - Look at the libraries section of the Arduino reference http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage -- Good starting point on how to interact with the various pieces inside a chip. After that, yes, the datasheet is the place to go.

Wirechief - I'd suggest starting with some simple console-mode C programming. Hit the library and snag "C for Dummies" -- odds are very good you'll go through it like a hot knife through butter (which is why I'm suggesting library over buying a copy). After that Deitel and Deitel, "C How to Program" is the place to go. If you're looking to do microcontroller work then the newer editions that cover the Microsoft GUI stuff are not going to be relevant. The 2nd Edition of the book can be had off Amazon for a penny plus $4.00 shipping. I don't think I've got my copy of that one any more but the last third of the book or so is a primer on C++ as well. With both of those under your belt you'll have a solid foundation for going on to most anything else you decide to learn.

hinermad

Post by hinermad »

I've found avrfreaks.net to be a helpful resource, although it's not the most organized site IMO.

C++ may not be the best language for programming a small controller until you know the pros and cons, but C is certainly appropriate. Learning the object-oriented philosophy behind C++ is certainly a benefit if or when you get into more elaborate designs.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”