Clock with motor

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ChrisDrew

Clock with motor

Post by ChrisDrew »

Hi,

I'm designing a novelty clock. The clock uses a standard analog clock mechanism, which is fitted to a rail that allows the mechanism to move vertically. At 12 o'clock the clock hour hand touches a switch which triggers a small motor which moves the entire clock mechanism down about 40mm. The clock mechanism then needs to return to the original position - this can be achieved by reversing the motor or by a return spring. The "dipping" motion can take about 2-5 seconds to complete. At the moment I am considering using a rack and pinion to move the clock mechanism. Another option is an arm attached to a servo motor.

I've bought an Arduino to control the motor. I presume I need the motor shield also. Can anyone recommend a motor to use? Servo or dc motor. Bear in mind that I want the whole system to run on AA or 9V batteries, with battery life of about a year! (that is 730 motor actions).

Any suggestions welcome. My skill level: well, I've just finished reading Electronics for Dummies, and I'm part way through the Arduino tutorials. So please keep it simple!

adafruit

Re: Clock with motor

Post by adafruit »

in general, you arent going to get a motor to do much of anything for a year on small batteries
but a microservo is probably the 'lightest' way to do it

zener

Post by zener »

Well, quartz clocks use some kind of impulse stepper motor I think. Maybe just repackage a standard clock mechanism. Might not have the torque you need though.

ChrisDrew

Post by ChrisDrew »

I'll look into the microstepper.

A second clock mechanism might be a possibility too. I could use it to slowly build up potential energy which would be released every 12 hours, to perform the action. Hmmm.

Thanks for the replies.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Zener wrote:Well, quartz clocks use some kind of impulse stepper motor I think. Maybe just repackage a standard clock mechanism. Might not have the torque you need though.
ok but they are REALLY REALLY small 'motors' :) not something that 'moves the clock mechanism' up and down

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

please dont respond to spammers :)

ChrisDrew

Post by ChrisDrew »

I suppose the 1 post should have given me a clue...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”