Can one use the Arduino IDE with the 32U4 breakout board?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
moorejl57

Can one use the Arduino IDE with the 32U4 breakout board?

Post by moorejl57 »

I realize that the idea behind the 32U4 breakout board was for folks wanting to step away from the Arduino enviornment. In my case, I want to design an Arduino compatible product and like the simplicity of the breakout boards design over the Arduino Micro for prototyping my product.

I have a lot of experience designing with PIC micro's, but none with Atmel , Arduino or WinAVR. Can I just flash an Adafruit 32U4 breakout board with the Leonardo bootloader and select the Leonardo board from the Arduino IDE and be off and running, or is there a bit more to it?

I don't yet have a break out board to experiment with and wanted to know if this is a viable path.

Thanks in advance

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Can one use the Arduino IDE with the 32U4 breakout board?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The breakout is not exactly Leonardo compatible & we don't support that configuration. If you want to work with the Arduino IDE, the Teensy is a better choice for a 32U4 breakout board.
https://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main ... h&q=teensy

moorejl57

Re: Can one use the Arduino IDE with the 32U4 breakout board?

Post by moorejl57 »

Thank you for the fast reply and I understand and appreciate that you don't support the board for this use.

I was able to borrow my friends breakout board and did have some luck with reflashing with the Leonardo bootloader, fuse and lock bits. The board is now playing nice with Arduino IDE with the exception of the LED on a different pin. I Did have to install the Leonardo inf driver, but that went fairly smoothly on Win 7 64 bit.

In any case, I was able to get my questions answered and some useful experience playing with the Arduino IDE. I was also able to restore his board with the original firmware since I read it out prior to reflashing.

Jamie

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”