FLORA Dead?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lseidman

FLORA Dead?

Post by lseidman »

Hello,

I have removed drivers, updated, deleted, unplug, reset, etc my Flora which WAS working and now seems to just not work...

I plug it in, it has a Green LED and slow flashing Red LED. Windows and Linux can't recognize it anymore and the Arduino software can't detect it but DOES see the COM Port.

Not sure what happened but I think it's dead?

Thanks,
Lance

adafruit_support_bill

Re: FLORA Dead?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Probably not dead. Those symptoms are common with the Flora, Leonardo and other 32U4 based microcontrollers. Pressing the reset button while starting the upload will bring it back. It may take a few tries to get the timing right.

lseidman

Post by lseidman »

Well, now my issue is, I can't install the Driver for the FLORA anymore. It talks about a missing INF. I do allow unsigned drivers, so not sure why it's doing this... Any suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

Check in your Flora-1.0.2/drivers folder. If the file is not there, re-install the Flora IDE. http://www.adafruit.com/downloads/flora102win.zip

lseidman

Post by lseidman »

Hi,

I re-downloaded it just in case. It says:
The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information.
I've never received this before. Normally I go to Device manager and update the driver... Can I used a different Driver and in the Arduino software upload as a different board?

adafruit_support_bill

You need to use the Flora driver. Ignore the warnings about the unsigned driver and install anyway.

kkolbo

Post by kkolbo »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Probably not dead. Those symptoms are common with the Flora, Leonardo and other 32U4 based microcontrollers. Pressing the reset button while starting the upload will bring it back. It may take a few tries to get the timing right.
The timing is very easy. Press and hold the reset button. Click on the upload button. After it compiles and as soon as it says Uploading..., Release the reset button. It has to do with when the program searches the ports for a board to answer.

I upgraded to Arduino 1.0.4 and it improved considerably. I only have to do the button push the first time each day.

kk

lseidman

Post by lseidman »

The timing is very easy. Press and hold the reset button. Click on the upload button. After it compiles and as soon as it says Uploading..., Release the reset button. It has to do with when the program searches the ports for a board to answer.

I upgraded to Arduino 1.0.4 and it improved considerably. I only have to do the button push the first time each day.

kk

Any recommendation getting Windows to accept the driver again? It shows it as the FLORA but won't update the driver and doesn't get a working COM Port. Mind, you it once worked fine after shutting down Code Signing.

kkolbo

Post by kkolbo »

lseidman wrote:
Any recommendation getting Windows to accept the driver again? It shows it as the FLORA but won't update the driver and doesn't get a working COM Port. Mind, you it once worked fine after shutting down Code Signing.
I hate to sound like a noob, but what I do in that situation is uninstall the driver. Turn back on the driver signing. (stock set up) Download the Arduino package from Adafruit to make sure you do not have a corrupted file. Unzip the Adafruit package and reinstall the driver per the Adafruit instructions.

I normally find that when something changes like that, I did something that corrupted stuff. You could even try rolling back your windows version to before the last update. By uninstalling and reinstalling with new files I take some of the guess work out of it.

Other than that I am not an OS guru.

kk

adafruit_support_bill

Any recommendation getting Windows to accept the driver again?
Uninstall any existing driver as suggested by kkolbo. If it still won't load the new one, re-install the Flora IDE to repair anything that might have been corrupted.

kkolbo

Post by kkolbo »

I was getting ready to start to write some complex code for the Flora so I was going to move Arduino over to a BA Windoze 7 machine where I had more creature comforts. I had it working fine on my Linux box and on one Windoze laptop, but going to BA machine, I encountered many of your problems you have been describing.

Installing the driver
Holy crude this was a pain this time. WHen I pugged in the Flora, Device manager showed it as a Flora for a moment and then switched to unknown USB IO. That meant when I went to update the driver, it would not find it becuase it was not looking for the right driver. To get it to install I had to do the following:
  • Use the update driver dialog on browse and browse to the right folder so that it was now in the dialog box.
  • Push and hold the reset button on the Flora until the bongs that mean it is not connected.
  • Release the button
  • As soon as I heard the bongs for usb device connected, click the update button in the dialog that is already pointing to the drivers folder.
The key was to get it to install the driver before the Flora started running the program on it, becuase that seems to be when it forgets to tell the port who it is. (Just a guess, noob here)

Downloading to the Flora
The same thing seems to be what Widoze is complaining of for downloads. It can't find the Flora once it is attached and device manager shows it unknown after a moment. I did get it to download a couple of times but it is real hit and miss on when to release the reset button. I gave up.

Conclusion
Guess who is now doing all of his Flora development on a Celeron(R) CPU @ 2.00GHz with 800Mb of RAM and up-to-date Linux instead of his 4.0Ghz hex core, 12Gb RAM Windoze box? :x
Actualy the Linux box is way more power than needed for the job, just can't be doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

But why the Rum?

lseidman

Post by lseidman »

kkolbo,

No dice unfortunately.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”