How to make sure AVRDUDE detects my programmer and Atmega8

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sujoy

How to make sure AVRDUDE detects my programmer and Atmega8

Post by sujoy »

Hi,

I am running linux (Fedora 18) on a HP laptop (designed for Vista) and using a local USB ISP programmer for building my AVR projects. How do I make sure that my avrdude detects my programmer and microcontroller (AtMega8).

I have a local made (NSK Elecronics- Bengaluru, BANNED) USB programmer which comes with a Basscom software loaded in the CD. I have installed gcc, gcc-c++, libusb, avrdude, avra and what ever I found in various forums online. I also have Eclipse configured into my system for the programming.

Now the problem is I cant figure out if my laptop is being able to detect the programmer and microcontroller or not. I tried using the Terminal to convert a sample code into a make file but I have no idea where to save the file so that the Terminal can find it.

FYI: This is the first time I am using linux or programming a microcontroller and all my knowledge is from online resources. So please help me with your ideas no matter how basic they may be.

Best Regards,
Sujoy

PS: I am an electronics engineer so technical jargon is not likely to confuse me.

sujoy

Re: How to make sure AVRDUDE detects my programmer and Atmega8

Post by sujoy »

Okay found the solution myself by tinkering around.

In the terminal type:- avrdude -c aqwerty -p atmega8

The programmer name is gibberish, avrdude gives you a list of around 40 programmers which it supports.
Copy & paste the list in excel, snip and format and concatenate and you can get a list of commands that looks like this:-
avrdude -c usbtiny -p atmega8
avrdude -c stk500 -p atmega8
avrdude -c avrisp -p atmega8
avrdude -c usbasp -p atmega8
etc for all the types of programmers.

Moreover you can paste the lines into a text editer and paste it into the terminal 10 lines at a time.

BTW my programmer was as "usbasp".......... Brute force method never fails.

Cheers,
Sujoy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”