Raspberry Pi Motorcycle Audio Player

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DaGroundZero

Raspberry Pi Motorcycle Audio Player

Post by DaGroundZero »

I am looking to add some tunes to my motorcycle. I can buy a small amp and some speakers for anywhere between $60-$400, but none of them really have what I'm looking for in a system. I was thinking this could be a good PI project.

I want a simple MP3 player which allows me to load in the music via SD cards or USB drives. I want a screen that will display the song that is currently playing or shows the songs on the drive/SD card. I want a simple wired type remote with has the basic controlling buttons, play, stop, >>, <<, and random. The output will need to be fed into a 12v amp to drive some weatherproof speakers.

I will design and print out the display housing as well as the speaker enclosures and remote control panel thingy.

I'm just looking for feedback on... Is this a good PI project, would another technology be easier/better to do it? suggestions on components for the display and software to run the music..

I'm new to Raspberry PI, but I've done some tinkering before.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Raspberry Pi Motorcycle Audio Player

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You have a range of options available to you. We have a have a breakout board for the VS1053 codec chip if you want to process your MP3s in hardware: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1381 but the RasPi is a Linux computer so there are any number of Open Source programs that will do the job in software.

For displays, you again have a range of options, though I'd suggest going with one of our small NTSC/PAL displays. If you use a software package to handle the file access and decoding, it will also take care of the interface. A lot of people use XBMC, originally developed for the Xbox, to turn a RasPi into a full-scale media center.

For output, we have a 3.7W class D stereo amplifier: http://www.adafruit.com/products/987 It's good for portable projects because the class-D output is pulse-width modulated.. you lose much less energy through the output system just keeping analog levels where they're supposed to be.

DaGroundZero

Post by DaGroundZero »

thanks. I will keep researching, but I was planning on letting the software do the decoding.

tldr

Post by tldr »

DaGroundZero wrote:thanks. I will keep researching, but I was planning on letting the software do the decoding.
the software does do the decoding. you just run mplayer or mpc/mpd on the pi and out comes you noise.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”