Recent Order #298369

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eneilshade

Recent Order #298369

Post by eneilshade »

Good day Adafruit Support,

I received an order from you yesterday (#298369), and everything looked great and well packaged. However one, maybe two, may have been defective. First, one of my two Teensy 3.0s is dead. I plugged it into my computer, and uploaded a modified blink sketch for a 2x speed blink, and it said the program uploaded successfully. However, the LED connected to pin 13 did absolutely nothing. I tried various other things, like powering LEDs off other pins, etc -- but to no avail. The other Teensy works great and I am quite satisfied.

Next, I had an issue with the 1.8" TFT display I ordered. Inside this package, I also had a large solderless breadboard. When I opened the box, the breadboard's wrapping plastic had pulled from the cardboard backing of its packaging, and was a bit wet. I thought nothing of it. The breadboard itself is great, and I am currently using it. However, when I went to plug in the 1.8" backlit TFT display -- following the tutorial on your site -- it literally went up in smoke. I am not sure if I connected something wrong or if something was wrong with the display (possibly due to moisture I couldn't detect) but it is now dead as well.

If I need to direct this somewhere obvious on the forums I missed, just let me know, and I will shift it there.

Thanks so much for being awesome,

EneilShade

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Recent Order #298369

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

When I opened the box, the breadboard's wrapping plastic had pulled from the cardboard backing of its packaging, and was a bit wet.
Did you see any source of moisture? Was there water damage or moisture elsewhere in or on the box?

eneilshade

Post by eneilshade »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Did you see any source of moisture? Was there water damage or moisture elsewhere in or on the box?
It had been sitting on my counter for a while. The only moisture I really noticed was on the inside of the packaging, but it looked like there might have been more. Again, it had been out for hours at that point, and it's pretty dry up here in Alaska.

As for the source? I don't know. It might have gotten wet on its trip over in the plane or something. It hasn't rained here in weeks.

adafruit_support_bill

I've asked Paul Stoffgren of PJRC to look into the teensy problem. It is pretty unusual for one to be DOA.

The moisture in the package is a curious issue, but I don't think it explains the TFT display problem. Looking at the back of the board, are there signs of damage around any of the ICs?

eneilshade

Post by eneilshade »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:I've asked Paul Stoffgren of PJRC to look into the teensy problem. It is pretty unusual for one to be DOA.

The moisture in the package is a curious issue, but I don't think it explains the TFT display problem. Looking at the back of the board, are there signs of damage around any of the ICs?
No, the display looks just fine. It wasn't even hot after it smoked out. As I said in my original post, it very well may have been me hooking it up wrong. I am colorblind and have been known to mix up wires before.

The thing about the Teensy is that the programmer doesn't show any problems with it... it just doesn't run any scripts (or doesn't seem to). I can't even get it to blink the LED on pin 13. You press the button, it uploads the .hex file, and it says "Reboot OK"... but nothing happens.

adafruit_support_bill

No response from PJRC yet, so let's go ahead and replace that Teensy & the display.

Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and we can get those out to you.

eneilshade

Post by eneilshade »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:No response from PJRC yet, so let's go ahead and replace that Teensy & the display.

Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and we can get those out to you.
Thanks for your help! I will do that now.

paulstoffregen

Post by paulstoffregen »

Hi, Paul here, from PJRC. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner.

This sounds like a strange one. If the Teensy Loader is able to do the upload to the board, the hardware is probably good. Teensy Loader has a "Verbose Info" option in the Help menu which can tell you more about the uploading process. You should see messages about each block of data sent. With Teensy 3.0, it's normal to see "waiting for device" messages in the middle of the upload process. For example:

Code: Select all

03:00:06 AM: flash, block=7, bs=1024, auto=1
03:00:06 AM: flash, block=8, bs=1024, auto=1
03:00:06 AM: HID/linux: waiting for device
03:00:06 AM: flash, block=9, bs=1024, auto=1
03:00:06 AM: flash, block=10, bs=1024, auto=1
03:00:06 AM: flash, block=11, bs=1024, auto=1
03:00:06 AM: sending reboot
If you're seeing stuff like that in the Verbose Info (each operating system variant prints slightly different things), it's a very good indication the Teensy 3.0 is uploading and responding normally.

But it's entirely possible the board got damaged in shipping. That's pretty rare, but if you saw moisture, maybe a part of the board effecting only the LED is damaged, but the USB part is ok? From these messages, that would be my best guess.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”