Working with the ATMega via Bluetooth

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wasaler

Working with the ATMega via Bluetooth

Post by wasaler »

Hey everyone,

I am working on a small project where a full blown arduino board is overkill, so I'd been looking at just working with the ATMega328 chip preloaded with the arduino bootloader.

I'm also thinking about using a bluetooth module instead of USB to communicate between the chip and my computer. One question I have regarding this: after I connect the BT to the ATMega, can I program it directly by selecting the bluetooth serial port option on my computer, or do I need to preprogram it using USB to access bluetooth? Would I need a Usb to serial adapter to do this?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Working with the ATMega via Bluetooth

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The ATMega328 can't handle USB or Bluetooth directly. The Arduino has a second chip that converts USB signals to something the UART can handle.

You can use one of our USB-to-TTL cables (which has the same chip built in) to send signals to the ATMega328's RX and TX pins, but you'll still need to reset the chip manually to make the programming process happen.

In general, when you work with a bare chip it's easier to forego the bootloader and program it through the ICSP pins.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”