Tapping current from the voltage regulator of the Arduino Me

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lucs

Tapping current from the voltage regulator of the Arduino Me

Post by lucs »

Hello,

Has anyone expercience with tapping of crurrent from the power regulator on the Aruino Mega board. According to the specs, this power regulator can deliver 800mA. I need 360mA to feed a LED strand of 9 leds (=9 x 60mA max). That would leave enough romm for the basic Arduino Mega functionalities. I would do this for a clean installation.

The powerr supply would come from the USB port or the power jack, I have the choice. What would you prefer? The specs of the power source are 5V with around 2700mAh.

Kind regards,
Luc

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Tapping current from the voltage regulator of the Arduin

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You need a 7-12v power supply if you want to use the DC power jack. The regulator needs a couple volts of headroom to work. If you decide to do that, the 'Vin' pin from the 'POWER' header bypasses the 5v regulator and gives you a direct connection to the power supply.

If you power the Arduino from a USB cable, the '5v' pin will give you a connection to that supply.

For more information, you can look at the Mega specifications on the Arduino website under the 'Power' heading: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardMega

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”