VS1053 Codec Breakout missing audio jack?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kellyz

VS1053 Codec Breakout missing audio jack?

Post by kellyz »

Hello,

I am following the tutorial for the piano glove. I very recently ordered all of the stuff from the "featured in this guide" column on the right. My VS1053 Codec Breakout did not come with an audio jack as featured in the tutorial. On this product's page, I see the note that states, "As of Sept 24 2013, all orders will come with v2." Is it supposed to be missing the audio? What am I supposed to use instead? Sorry, I am somewhat inexperienced with electronics.

Additionally, I realize that I also needed to order a battery pack to plug into the Flora, which I did. Do you know if there are any other electronic parts that I will have to order separately (besides the basics of wire, wire strippers, and solder)?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: VS1053 Codec Breakout missing audio jack?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The jack is still part of the kit. If it is missing from yours, please contact [email protected] and we'll send one right out.
Additionally, I realize that I also needed to order a battery pack to plug into the Flora, which I did. Do you know if there are any other electronic parts that I will have to order separately (besides the basics of wire, wire strippers, and solder)?
Which battery pack did you order? Most of our LiPo cells come with Flora compatible JST connectors installed (you will probably need a LiPo charger if you ordered one of those).

I think that the 3xAAA also comes with a JST installed. If you ordered one of the other AA or AAA battery holders, you may want to get a JST connector for it: http://www.adafruit.com/products/261

kellyz

Post by kellyz »

Yes I ordered the 3xAAA battery pack with the JST. And I just sent an email to [email protected]. Thank you for the help!

kellyz

Post by kellyz »

Actually, is there something that I can replace the audio jack with? Something that could easily be found at a maybe a Radio Shack? I have not yet received the part and need to finish by tomorrow. Please let me know if you know of any alternative options. And thanks in advance for your help!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What are you connecting it to? Worst-case, you can always wire direct. Radio Shack might have a stereo 1/8" audio jack in stock.

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Presumably part 274-274 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... PerPage=60, though 274-246 might do in a pinch http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103451.

There are breakout boards that attach directly to breadboards, but I don't recall seeing them at the Shack. So if you needed it ASAP, go with the Shack. These components are usually in a filing cabinet in the back. Some sales folk know about all of the components in those filing cabinets, others seem to only want to sell you a phone.

kellyz

Post by kellyz »

OK great thanks guys- I'll check these out!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”