Peltier Chip with Heat Sink

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
maddybug18

Peltier Chip with Heat Sink

Post by maddybug18 »

For a project I need to get a block of aluminum to -10 C. To do this I thought I could use a peltier chip with a heat sink. Any suggestions as to which peltier chip and heat sink can get to this temperature.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Peltier Chip with Heat Sink

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

How big a block and how fast do you have to get it to -10C? Is it well insulated? With sufficient insulation, the module in the store will achieve that temperature. Multiple modules will get you there faster. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1335

maddybug18

Post by maddybug18 »

The block has a cross section of 1.5 in by 2 in with a length of 3 in. It is just a standard aluminum (probably 2024).
The time does not matter at this point, I am more concerned about the block just getting to that temperature. I will be designing insulation to go around the system. I have a little bit of space constraints so the insulation cannot be too thick.

adafruit_support_bill

That sounds doable. If possible, attach your block to the peltier module with one of the larger faces. This will maximize the area for heat transfer and help minimize the surface area that needs to be insulated.

alpaykasal

Post by alpaykasal »

i'd like to add this...

the trick with a peltier tec device is this... depending on the temperature difference between the hot side and the cold side, your aluminum can get wildly hot based on how you're managing your cold side. it is a "heat pump". if you don't manage your cold side (by dissipating the cold), you will have an unreliable hot side.

your cold side will get hot quickly (as the hot end will heat everything up fast) and the tec will not work as it's meant to. giant heatsinks, big fans, and good thermal compound and watch a snowball form on the cold side, moisture drawn from the humidity/dew in the air.

another option for you is a power resistor, like the ones used in 3d printing hot ends... it basically just converts power to heat via resistance. if will be much more tunable, you can achieve reliable temps with it... as evidenced by the 3d printing world, those printers rely on very specific temperatures. search for something like "reprap power resistor"

adafruit_support_bill

All valid points for heating. But the OP is using the peltier for cooling (-10C), so a resistor is not going to work for him.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”