What is the difference between the Flora, Gemma & Trinket?

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Franklin97355

Re: What is the difference between the Flora, Gemma & Trinke

Post by Franklin97355 »

Also, if you are new to Arduino and it's derivatives get yourself an Uno to start with and learn the coding style. As you learn the others will fall into place and it is the most common starting point for Arduino users at this time.

LucidSage

Post by LucidSage »

Thanks 1chicagodave!

I feel like I'm falling down the rabbit hole. This is such a big universe I knew nothing about. So much to learn.

1chicagodave

Post by 1chicagodave »

LucidSage wrote:Thanks 1chicagodave!

I feel like I'm falling down the rabbit hole. This is such a big universe I knew nothing about. So much to learn.
Nah...if you've got programming experience of ANY kind, you're ahead of many beginners! At least you know how programming generally works and can probably decipher some simple code already. Just like any learning curve, you've got to trip over the simple stuff before tackling the complex. Then, when you do, you forget what it was like starting out.

That's why I'm on this forum so much; there is a great mix of all levels of experience, knowledge, and backgrounds. Helping others figure stuff out & watching the Adafruit staff solve problems teaches me new things. And, when I inevitably provide some less-than-optimal advice & get corrected....it keeps me humble! :|

If anyone claims they know everything all about how to do this stuff.....don't believe them. 8)

Welcome to a great, and addicting, new world!

LucidSage

Post by LucidSage »

Haha. Fantastic. Sign me up! :D

paulstoffregen

Post by paulstoffregen »

I'm curious, how long is the sound clip? A few seconds, a few minutes, several hours?

LucidSage

Post by LucidSage »

My plan is between about 3 to 10 seconds.

However I am looking into creating the ability to record audio directly into the device so I am wonder how to do that and also what is the potential limit is of each audio device.

The VS1053 has a microSD card which can hold a lot but playing an hour of audio becomes a battery concern and maybe has other issues.

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

The ISD1820 that I mentioned includes an on-board microphone. You hold a pin high or press a button to record the sound. The spec sheets say it records 8-20 seconds.

paulstoffregen

Post by paulstoffregen »

If you use the new Teensy 3.1 board, you could probably sample at 8 kHz and record about 7 seconds to the RAM, since it now has 64K.

LucidSage

Post by LucidSage »

Is there a specific sub-forum for posting projects or project ideas?

I wonder if there are people who might be interested in "following along" or creating what I'm working on as well. I will also have better chances of learning faster with more people.

I just got so many combination options from this thread and I wanted to put in some orders and get started but I no longer know what I should order. There are so many devices and I've never used any of them. Between the multitude of micro-controllers and arduino devices, as well as the various audio devices, I feel like I am getting lost. Maybe posting this whole thing as a very specific project with more details will help. I just can't buy everything (at the moment) and test all of them. (my total budget for now is $100 - $150).

(this also diverged far from the original question about the difference between the Flora, Gemma & Trinket. I am not sure how strict are these forums).

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Well in this forum there is the general project help section. Other forums have different rules.

I always try to recommend to people starting out to build the project in stages, and break the project down into smaller pieces where you can test each stage to see whether something is working. So called waterfall projects where you work for a long period of time until you have everything coded, and then you test everything at once rarely work the first time, and then you spend a good deal of time fixing things (or getting totally confused and frustrated).

However you have to be careful to not break things down too much, that you are spending a lot of time on non-essential details. In the computer industry this is often times called painting the bike shed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson' ... triviality). That being said, I am not immune from bike-shedding :-)

1chicagodave

Post by 1chicagodave »

I typically use whichever forum closely relates to my project as my own personal blog about it; coming back from time to time & posting updates, questions, etc.

Adafruit doesn't seem to mind. In fact, a few of my project posts ended up on the Adafruit Blog! :D

They also have a weekly Show n Tell Google+ group w/ Lady Ada & Phil, where customers show their progress on Adafruit inspired projects.

That's brilliant! I may have to pass that on to a few other guilty parties I know.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”