Gemma and Win7

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Barry914

Gemma and Win7

Post by Barry914 »

I can't seem to get the Adafruit IDE 1.05 to download to my Gemma. I have the board set to Adafruit Gemma 8Mhz, the programmer set to USBtinyISP, the drivers installed (I think - Device Manager shows a USBtiny device). I added the hardware support to my sketchbook folder. I double checked that I updated the avrdude.conf file and the ld.exe file. I didn't see an old one in the hardware\tools\avr\bin folder, but I did see avr-ld.exe. I get errors like :

avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: The device does not recognize the command.

(expected 4, got -5)

I get these errors even though I press the reset button just before clicking download on the IDE. The Gemma's LED is blinking like it's in bootloader mode (I guess. I don't actually know what it should look like.) I have 2 Gemmas and they act exactly the same. Any ideas?

(edit)

After reading various posts about this issue, I have decided that avrdude has no idea where my avrdude.conf file is. Also, when I use the command line avrdude -v it only works when I am in installation directory's hardware\tools\avr\bin directory, and it gives the following error message:

C:\Program Files\Adafruit Arduino 1.05\hardware\tools\avr\bin>avrdude -v

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is ""
avrdude: can't open config file "": Invalid argument
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file ""

Hope this gives someone a clue, because I'm sitting on Gemmas and NeoPixels and I can only stare at them.

Barry914

Re: Gemma and Win7

Post by Barry914 »

bump!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you're running avrdude from the command line, you need to give it the information about its config file, the kind of programmer you're using, etc.

The official documentation is here: http://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/user-manual/avrdude.html but we also have a tutorial about general AVR programming that shows some examples of command-line use here: http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/avrdude.html

Barry914

Post by Barry914 »

I only ran it from the command line because I saw a suggestion in one of the threads to check the config file version. I'm running it from the IDE and it either gives me errors indicating the boot loader is not running or it gives me tons of "command not recognized" errors. Also, there was no ld.exe file in the bin subdirectory before I downloaded it and moved it, only an Adafruit version, and I don't know what version of the linker is called by the IDE, nor do I care to find out. I just want to program my Gemmas! :cry:

adafruit_support_mike

Have you tried using the preconfigured versions of the IDE available from the Trinket page? Those are known working configurations.

Barry914

Post by Barry914 »

Can you point me there? I am currently using the version I downloaded from http://learn.adafruit.com/getting-start ... d-software, and I followed all the steps including driver installation. I had no problems getting it up and running with a Flora. It resides in c:\program files\adafruit-IDE 1.05, the sketchbook folder is the default folder created when I first ran the IDE.

I'm guessing the hardware folder that I copied to my sketchbook folder isn't required with the Adafruit version of the IDE. Can I reinstall the IDE by simply overwriting the existing files? I assume nothing I have in my sketchbook folder will be disturbed.

Barry914

Post by Barry914 »

Just one more piece of the puzzle. I installed a fresh copy of the Adafruit IDE. No improvement.

adafruit_support_mike

You need the Trinket version of the IDE: http://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-t ... rduino-ide

The Trinket and Gemma are both built around the ATtiny85 microcontroller and use the same bootloader.

Barry914

Post by Barry914 »

That's the version I downloaded and installed. I am beginning to think there's some issue with the Gemma's bootloader.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”