Gemma - USBTiny drivers don't install on Windows 8.1

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Celesto

Gemma - USBTiny drivers don't install on Windows 8.1

Post by Celesto »

Hi there,

I'm trying to program my Gemma and am having a bit of trouble. I've followed the steps to set up the IDE (both the "fast" download everything version and the "slow" update the config files manually methods) and am running into trouble installing the driver. I download the Windows version and try to run the installer. It does the classic Command Prompt instant-flash thing, so I go run it from the command line to see what the error is and it complains that I can't run it from the command line. Retrying from the GUI as Administrator, the same behavior happens. It doesn't seem to install it at all, and in that brief instant the cmd prompt window is open, I can tell it says the same message about needing to not run it from the command line...

Trying to program the Gemma (with Gemma board selected and USBTinyISP programmer) and the Gemma red led pulsating in bootloader mode, I get the "Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)" message. When plugged in, the Gemma shows up in Device Manager as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". Doing a manual install or uninstall from the Device Manager has not helped either - the wizards don't seem to recognize that the drivers need updating.

I've tried two cables and all available ports and a couple hubs too. No progress. I'm a little at my wits end here and would very much appreciate some help. Thank you!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Gemma - USBTiny drivers don't install on Windows 8.1

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Simple question first - have you unzipped the installer folder?
Are you using the signed driver download here:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=48455

Celesto

Post by Celesto »

Yeah, I unzipped it and that's the correct link.

adafruit_support_rick

Possibly you have a bad bootloader on your Gemma. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement Gemma

Celesto

Post by Celesto »

Not sure that's the case. I've now tried it with a friend's MacBook and can program it fine. It really seems like the driver installer is the issue now (on Windows).

Kurtopsy

Post by Kurtopsy »

I had the same problem with my Win 8.1 machine. One Gemma wouldn't even get recognized, and the other wouldn't let me install drivers. I hooked them up to a Win 7 machine and they worked perfectly. I'm guessing they don't play nicely with Win 8.1.

adafruit_support_rick

Could also be the USB port. If you've tried all of the available ports o the machine, try connecting through a self-powered hub.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”