Ultracheap arduino bluetooth

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
creid

Ultracheap arduino bluetooth

Post by creid »

I want to build a wireless pov for my car and was thinking bluetooth for the data connect. Of course bluetooth ic's are ridiculously expensive (youd be better disassembling a cell phone for its chip). Then it occurred to me. Would it be possible to simply use a cheap bluetooth dongle connected to a usb arduino? Anyone have any idea?

Franklin97355

Re: Ultracheap arduino bluetooth

Post by Franklin97355 »

The arduino is not a master and will not work.

eil

Post by eil »

Bluetooth is a pretty complex protocol, meaning it's beyond the reach of most Arduino projects. (Or so I'm lead to believe.) It's probably way overkill for what you want to do anyway. XBee is probably what you want when it comes to Arduino + wireless communication.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

karlgg

Post by karlgg »

If you're thinking of something along the lines of a Spoke POV, you'd better be extra careful. Things spinning at highway speeds could be hazardous, especially to anyone outside the car. Might even get you a ticket, or if in Boston, arrested and put on the news. :P

Not to mention, subject to forces (spinning and jarring) that would make the whole thing terribly fragile.

That said, I've always wanted to see a set of side-lights that blinked along at the speed the ground was going by (therefor looking like the lights were standing still). A POV in the same vein would be interesting...

westfw

Post by westfw »

Ouch; you seem to have a much different definition of "ultracheap" that I do!

For small amounts of data at low rates, I've been wondering how hard it would be to interface to those inexpensive bluetooth phone headsets at the AUDIO level (touch tones, CUTS, Bell103, whatever...) Those are getting to be less than $10... (or perhaps a bluetooth mouse?) Not a general purpose solution, I guess, but perhaps good enough for a lot of things?

creid

Post by creid »

The forces on a well designed automotive version of a spoke pov will be equivalent or possibly lower.
A bike tire may have a useable diameter of 26" .The pov would be mounted all the way to the edge as well. You may travel 30 to 45mph with that setup. It will be mounted rather haphazardly to the spokes which are Not designed for that stress.

The average car tire now is 15" (probably 14). With low profile sport tires maybe 17 (my gt). The actual useable part of that.. where the pov will be mounted is at a position of perhaps 3 to 4" Less (thicker rims). The mounting will be to the solid metal of the rim edge as well as the solid metal of the wheel which actually IS designed for this kind of force (times a few thousand).

In other words using Average sizes a car going nearly twice as fast will produce less stress on a pov system than a bike will. And the mounting will be far far superior.

No offense but people making up regulations, theorising them, or calling for them without even the attempt to calculate any such danger are one of the reason American DIYers are a nearly extinct breed. You may notice the innovation now is in china and BANNED where the first reaction to innovation is NOT to outlaw it.

Now off to get the stupid thing to actually work

mwr

Post by mwr »

creid wrote:The forces on a well designed automotive version of a spoke pov will be equivalent or possibly lower.
In other words using Average sizes a car going nearly twice as fast will produce less stress on a pov system than a bike will. And the mounting will be far far superior.
Any errors I make with regards to dynamics, I'm going to blame on the pain BANNED from my bike wreck yesterday. But anyway:

Radial acceleration for an object moving in a circular path: a_r = (v^2)/r, where v = object velocity and r = circle's radius.

Force required to keep the object in that circular path: F = m*a, where m = object's mass.

Assuming a 26" bike tire at 30 mph: v = 44 ft/sec, r = 1.08 ft, a_r = 1787 ft/sec^2 = 55.5 "g".
Assuming a 17" car tire at 60 mph: v = 88 ft/sec, r = 0.71 ft, a_r = 10933 ft/sec^2 = 340 "g".

A SpokePOV shouldn't weigh enough to break any bolts you'd fasten it to the car wheel with, but it would be a more demanding environment than the bike mount.

waylonflinn

Post by waylonflinn »

Arise, dead thread, and see what the future hath wrought!

Circuits@Home: Bluetooth code for Arduino USB Host ($30 + $40 + $20 = $90)

Instructables: How to Control Arduino by Bluetooth ($30 + $65 = $95)

Play Bluetooth with Arduino ($30 + $18 = $48)

The first link appears to be exactly what the question asker was looking for. The second and third get a little jiggy with it. They're all three significantly cheaper than the current retail bluetooth arduino boards (~$150 from sparkfun).

I agree with another poster that XBee might be a better alternative. This guide (How-to: Setting up XBee ZNet 2.5 (Series 2) modules) might be useful for getting XBee working.

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo »

HEy I was reading that Bluetooth to Arduino article and was curious...(thanx for the resurrection BTW)

with these new drivers and dongles could and Arduino Xbee module communicate with say a Palm Tungsten T3 over bluetooth?

MY particular application would involve a Midi software sequencer on the Palm being played and transmitted to another Arduino hooked to either an OQO portable PC and/or rack synth modules.

OR would it just be simpler for me to hack the Serial port on the PALM to interface with an ARduino using my existing MIDI over serial Arduinos and receivers?
I already have a MIDI over serial driver and cable adapter for the Palm so what I have coming out of the palm is already at the midi baud rate...so I could just hook my MIDI Xbee receiver up to the midi cable coming out of the PALM to integrate it into my current set up but that is kinda bulky and doesn't allow the PALM to go "wireless" itself....

Being able to transmit MIDI data directly out of the PAlm over bluetooth to a remote Xbee receiver that would decode it back to MIDI would be the shiz.
Come to think of it I've tried wireless MIDI over bluetooth in the past using Linux and OSC drivers and that was a total disaster (probably my fault) was OK for sending single or clustered MIDI commands, program changes/on off loop triggers etc etc, but wasn't stable enough for streaming data in real time, a lot of drop outs and interference from other devices...so maybe I'll just go with the Serial Hack on the PALM and try to get it to interface with an FTDI Arduino XBee Midi setup.

Does anyone know if a Serial input Xbee module? palm is not quite the same as a computer serial but I know the pin assignments so if there was I might be able to interface the two.

keep shinin

jerm 8)

daisyworks

Post by daisyworks »

Hi, if you're looking for a Bluetooth Arduino, take a look at our board, the Daisy http://daisyworks.com -- it is Arduino compatible, with a class 1 BT modem. We posted some notes on the range here: http://daisyworks.BANNED.com/2011/08 ... ervations/ -- you can also FOTA the device over Bluetooth with an Android or Mac, Linux, Windows desktop app that we give away for free.

minniman1234

Post by minniman1234 »

I think this would be a little bit more in everbodys price range. Comes with code to!!
http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php? ... cts_id=179

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”