New Mega 2560 - failed to leave programming mode

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gearhead02

New Mega 2560 - failed to leave programming mode

Post by gearhead02 »

Just unwrapped my new mega 2560, loaded the latest arduino IDE v21, selected the Blink sketch, changed the Board to Arudino Mega 2560 and selected the right serial port. When I try downloading the example Blink sketch I get the following errors (and the sketch doesn't run):

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0xc8
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0x01
avrdude: stk500v2_disable(): failed to leave programming mode

I've tried a different USB cable (even though I know this one worked on my printer). I know the IDE is working because I also purchased a nano and I can download the Blink example without any problems. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

adafruit

Re: New Mega 2560 - failed to leave programming mode

Post by adafruit »

do any of the LED light up when trying to program?

gearhead02

Post by gearhead02 »

The pin 13 LED blinks the 'ON' LED is on, but when programming the TX and RX lights do not flash.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm we've never seen this error - but lets replace it. please email support@adafruit with a link to this post

gearhead02

Post by gearhead02 »

Either because I can't give up that easy or because I'm lazy and hate sending things back, I kept looking for a solution. It looks like reinstalling the Mega2560 drivers fixes this problem. You might file it away somewhere in your brain for later. :D

To update driver for Mega 2560 for Vista:
- Download Arduino IDE v21 (unpackage)
- Plug in Mega 2560
- Right-click on 'My Computer' and select properties
- Select 'Device Manager'
- Scroll down to ports
- Find the port the Mega 2560 is connected on and right-click and select properties
- Select 'Update driver'
- Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'
- Browse to the folder where you unpackaged Arduino IDE v21 and select the driver folder
- Press Next

(From here it should find the drivers and install them correctly... if not I'm at a loss, you'll have to find someone smarter)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

faster than shipping you a new one, good work! :)

tsoltoy

Post by tsoltoy »

I tried all this. It didn't work. At this point I am beyond frustrated with this board. Wasted a good amount of money on this and it's absolutely garbage. Can't even return it to get my money back. If there is a proper solution to this please help out. All it does is says uploading to I/O pins and stays there forever (me being patient waited about 25 minutes) and when I unplug it it says

avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

I tried what you just suggested on my windows 7 and nothing happened. Same issue.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

tsoltoy, please take a break from working on this so you don't get frustrated. we can help you out or replace it but we've found that its easy to accidentally make a problem worse by being frustrated!

eric55

Post by eric55 »

I am having the same problem, except reinstalling the drivers did not fix my problem. However, I may have another issue as well. This all started after I installed the motor control server (http://www.mathworks.com/academia/ardui ... atlab.html). I have the server uploaded on the arduino and was just messing with the motors through MATLAB. Now, whenever I try and upload any sketch onto the arduino board through the IDE, I get the same error as the poster. The weird thing is I can still talk to the arduino through MATLAB, such as sending values and reading data to the motors. The TX and RX lights light up ONLY when I connect through MATLAB. I can not get them to light up whenever I try and upload a sketch to the board through the Arduino IDE. I have the Arduino Mega 2560.

Thanks in advance

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

eric, so you had a working mega and then after some motor-hacking it stopped working?

eric55

Post by eric55 »

Yes that's right. I've been playing with it for a few days now and everything was working fine until I loaded the motor server on there.

justwait

Post by justwait »

I am having the same problem. It was working 2 weeks ago, now I get cannot leave programming mode. Even the arduino example programs do not work.

jamb133

Post by jamb133 »

Hi,

I have the same issue. Brand new Mega2560, Ubuntu, IDE 0021. The strange is that when I change the speed of serial monitor to 57600, the board is sending "Reset" message continuously, every 4-5 second. The board is alive, the green led is on, but when I try to upload the bare minimum sketch I get this: avrdude STK500_2 RecieveMessage (): Timeout.
The board type and USB port are selected correctly. Recently I see a lot of such issues over many different forums. Please help!

Regards:
Jamb133

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

jamb133 wrote:I have the same issue
justwait wrote:I am having the same problem
There are a few variations of the problem in this thread. Please give us some more detail:
  • What do the leds do when you try to download a program?
    Have you tried re-installing the driver?
    What else (if anything) is connected to your mega?

jamb133

Post by jamb133 »

Hi,

When the uploading starts, then red led blinks few times. The green one is lighting all the time.
No any other hardware connected. Very fresh install of IDE 0021.

Regards:
Jamb133

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”