DIY Thermostat

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stephanie

DIY Thermostat

Post by stephanie »

I hope it's ok to post finished projects here? I've been working on this on-and-off since December, but finally got around to completing it.

The goal was a networked programable thermostat that did just about everything you'd expect of a normal off-the-shelf thermostat, but was also accessable through a network / internet connection. I could cut some corners and simplify a few things, eg. eliminate most of the 'set-up' functions, since I'd be able to hard-code certain things and not need a UI to set them (24-hour clock, temp. in farenheit, programmed temp. schedule, etc.)

All the normal functions are accessable from the thermostat itself -- one can temporarily override the temperature up or down, it can be set to 'hold' a fixed temperature, and if 'holding' it can be set back into 'run' mode. The display shows time, current temp, program mode, heat/cool mode, and target temp. If the thermostat is off, then it displays time, temp and date. There's a few other functions and features too, that aren't directly thermostat-related.

Over a network connection, one can access all the information and controls that you get at the thermostat itself. It's an unformatted 'raw' protocol, with the intention being that later I can write an iOS app for my phone that will give it a nice interface. In the meantime, I just use a telnet client and have to remember the command protocol that I set up.

The brains of the operation is basically an Arduino Deumilanova compatible. It went through several physical iterations (Freeduino, Boarduino, etc.) and now is basically just an ATMega 328p hanging off the back of an LCD display. Likewise the network adaptor started off as an Adafruit ethernet shield, but gradually got whittled down to just a bare Wiznet module hotglued to the inside of an enclosure.

I don't have any schematics as the assembly process came down to a lot of trial-and-error as I basically just squeezed stuff into the enclosure, and if it fit, I wired it in. You're welcome to the software though: click for the pde file. It's my first from-scratch Arduino project and I've never taken any classes in C or anything like that, so please be gentle. :) It works, though I'm sure it could work better.

I've been blogging the development process, so if anyone cares to read through the ups and downs, here's a link.

And finally, a pic of the finished & installed thermostat:

Cheers!

adafruit

Re: DIY Thermostat

Post by adafruit »

nice! that chronodot looks like a dial :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”