Long LED fade

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
james13

Long LED fade

Post by james13 »

Hi...

I am new to the arduino and have been trying to pick up on the programming language and also modify code that is already written to make it conform to what i am looking to do.

What i am needing to do is turn the LED on at its dimmest for 5 hours then fade over the period of 3 hours, turn off for approx 6 hours and then a reverse fade over approx the same 3 hours then hold dim for an additional 5 hours then off for 2 hours.

Or something similar simulating moonlight to sunrise and then sunset back to moonlight.

any pointers or someone that has a similar program that i could tweak to fit what i am looking for would be great!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Long LED fade

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have some code that does more-or-less the reverse of that for controlling aquarium lights. With minor tweaks it could do what you want. You would need a real-time clock module such as the ChronoDot or the DS1307.

james13

Post by james13 »

thats exactly what i would be doing with it....

and im guessing i could include an LCD read out (http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=181) to monitor time and date?

StacyD

Post by StacyD »

Yep, a LCD would work fine! The character LCDs (16x2, 20x4, etc.) are the easiest to work with and since you really only need 6 pins for it that would give you plenty of space to expand on in the future (which you will!).

Also if you are doing aquarium lighting, may I suggest that you use a Mosfet driver controlled by one of the PWM pins (even motor driver chips will drive some of these lights pretty well as long as it takes DC). I did something similar for a friend with a turtle (using a pic as this was a few years back - yay high school!) and used an NPN simple driver to actuate a motor controlled potentiometer so he could use the lamp of his choice to run on US standard voltage. You could also use a SPI/i2C digitally controlled one that was AC tolerant for ease.

Good news is that Motor controlled potentiometers are very common on old audio junk and eBay. You could even use a logarithmic pot because of the way that the sun setting and rising emulates a logarithmic function.

If your box is going to be anywhere near the tank, use a plastic enclosure and seal it with silicone caulk (moist air and chemicals can wreck havoc on these boards).

Cheers!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”