Datalogger power problem

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
randomr

Datalogger power problem

Post by randomr »

I ran into another minor frustration while building a datalogger. I purchased a wall wart power supply from adafruit with my last order, and while it will run a few blinking leds, it will not run the SD datalogger, at least not the one I received. Replacing it with a 300 ma transformer type wart did the trick.

The datalogger itself works fine and is replacing a $1500 Daq and a computer running 24/7 for a life testing platform.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Datalogger power problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is that the 9v regulated one? That should be good for 660 mA.

randomr

Post by randomr »

Yes, it is the 9 volt regulated one. When I try to power the SD shield with it it just pulses the green LED and the the serial leds put on a sequential light show. When I replaced it with a 500 ma transformer type wart (that 300 was a typo in the last late night post) everything works fine.

This could just be a bad unit as it only shows 8.54 volts with no load.

adafruit_support_bill

What does it measure under load?

randomr

Post by randomr »

Plugged into the uno without datalogger shield it reads 7.59 at the source and 4.58 on the 5v line. With the datalogger shield it reads 5.41 raw and 3.68 on the 5v line. The 500 ma transformer wart reads 9.46 raw and 4.96 on the 5v line with the shield on and running.

adafruit_support_bill

Sounds like a bad one. Contact [email protected] about a replacement and reference this thread in your message.

randomr

Post by randomr »

Thanks, but I am not concerned about a replacement. I am from Canada and the postage is probably more than the part. I have dozens of warts in a box. I was just curious about how a switching supply would work in a little package like that. Not impressed so far but one unit does not make a big enough sample to make a judgment.

adafruit_support_bill

I don't quite understand the shipping costs to Canada. I have a few regular Canadian suppliers I deal with and the shipping in the other direction is pretty reasonable.

Those 9v warts are a popular item and a great value for a regulated supply. I've got 4 on my bench right now and probably a dozen in various projects around the house. We don't have many problems with them, but statistically there is bound to be a bad one sooner or later :D .

randomr

Post by randomr »

Thanks again;
Maybe I will give support a heads up when I place my next order for goodies and it will save you the postage.

While I have your ear, are you planning to expand your selection of ARM products? I have been moving more of my stuff in that direction lately. My Daq's require C# programming and as much as I appreciate the effort the arduino developers have put into their IDE the C# IDE is a lot easier. Most of your shields already work with it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”