Using arduino uno, solar panel & rechargable batts

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bemental

Re: Using arduino uno, solar panel & rechargable batts

Post by bemental »

Makes my head spin to look at them, but I'll give it a shot!

Thanks again for the help.

bemental

Post by bemental »

Got another question about the Li-Po charger circuitry. Is it able to accept inputs from both the mini USB AND the DC jack at the same time?

Looking at adding the ability to have supplemental panels via the DC jack while wiring in my primary panels with the mini USB cable.

Suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Looking at adding the ability to have supplemental panels via the DC jack while wiring in my primary panels with the mini USB cable.
It is fine for the charger, but you need to make sure your panels are protected. If the panels are mis-matched, or one panel becomes 'shaded', power from the other one can back up through it. At best it will be horribly inefficient. At worst, it can damage the panel. Best to do a bit of research before you start connecting multiple panels.

bemental

Post by bemental »

It is fine for the charger, but you need to make sure your panels are protected.

Understand what you mean, for the most part. Found this article, explains a lot. http://www.solar-facts.com/panels/panel-diodes.php.

My design revolves around wiring "identical" panels in parallel to each other. Is this still a concern with individual panels being shaded? Also, between the panels and the charging circuit, do I need to include some sort of diode if I plan on using both input ports at once?

Thanks again for the insight!

adafruit_support_bill

Is this still a concern with individual panels being shaded?
Yes. If panels are wired in parallel, you should add blocking diodes. If they are wired in series, you should use bypass diodes.

bemental

Post by bemental »

One additional input I am considering is a Joule Thief-style charger via AA/AAA batteries, as recently featured on Hack A Day http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=1383.

Two part question. I notice on the LiPo board there is one additional DC IN next to the Mini USB. If I wire the AA/AAA Joule Thief to this input (or similar connector: USB/DC), will it appropriately transfer what's left from the AA/AAA to the LiPo via the charging circuit? I'm not quite sure how to work out how the small amounts of power left in the AA/AAA will affect the circuit overall and subsequently the charging of the LiPo (specifically the required voltage).

SEEMS like it should work since you can regulate the output onboard between 3.3 and 5v.

What do we think? Thanks in advance for the help!

adafruit_support_bill

It you set the output to 5v, it should be able to transfer some of the remaining AA charge into the LiPo. Just don't connect it at the same time as the USB.

bemental

Post by bemental »

It you set the output to 5v, it should be able to transfer some of the remaining AA charge into the LiPo. Just don't connect it at the same time as the USB.
Is this a precaution because of energy flowing back into the extra device or the LiPo circuit itself? I believe we've discussed elsewhere that you can have both multiple inputs as long you have the appropriate diodes in place for back flow.

Also, after speaking with the developer of the AASaver, he suggested that limiting the LiPo circuit to 100mA would be more efficient while transferring whatever juice is left in the AA/AAAs. Any insight into this? I planned on wiring in the additional 1000ohm resistor to bump the charging circuit up to 1000mA from 500mA.

bemental

Post by bemental »

In regards to the information regarding adding a new resistor, are we removing the on-board resistor in place by desoldering from PROG? The guide speaks of soldering OVER the in place resistor, so I assume this would be the case.

http://ladyada.net/products/usbdcsolarlipo/use.html

adafruit_support_bill

Is this a precaution because of energy flowing back into the extra device or the LiPo circuit itself?
It is so you don't have two voltage regulators trying to regulate the same circuit.
In regards to the information regarding adding a new resistor, are we removing the on-board resistor in place by desoldering from PROG? The guide speaks of soldering OVER the in place resistor, so I assume this would be the case.
The formula for the programming resistor is based on the total resistance. If you solder one in parallel with the existing resistor, you need to calculate the effective total resistance = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2)

bemental

Post by bemental »

Understood. Thanks again for all of your help.

hazwan

Post by hazwan »

i want to ask,,,, my project automatic cut off by solar system...when noon,charge the battery and during night battery supply to load (lamp)...can anybody help....i use the photocell sensor

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”