Arduino Timekeeping -- Crystal tuning

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
westfw

Re: Arduino Timekeeping -- Crystal tuning

Post by westfw »

Note that the original complaint "36 seconds per day" is only 0.02% error...

Makes me wonder ABOUT our expectations, and AT the talents of mechanical clockmakers...

grabberson

Post by grabberson »

I assume the oscillator is some division of the clock crystal, which says SPK16.000G on the top - presumably 16 Mhz. The hardware says Arduino UNO, board model R2.

Using the above method above I can get +/- 1 second every four days. Maybe better if I kept refining the TIME_CORRECTION value. But I think JChristensen is right - without temperature compensation (e.g. Chronodot) that's about the best I can do.

I agree Westfw - an amazingly small error is unacceptable in a clock application! A mechanical watch that's banged around and encounters large temperature variations keeps time as well as this.

Regards.

rbardsley

Post by rbardsley »

Hi everyone. Fascinating thread! Would you happen to have the full example code for this checktime() function? I am not a programmer, but learn by example. I can't figure out how to implement this correctly. Are you using the time library? Anyone mind sharing a barebones example of this that spits out something to the serial monitor?

Greatly appreciated!

Ryan
Boston, MA

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”