avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding on Uno & Fedora 14 Linux

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
robertjw

Re: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding on Uno & Fedora 14 Linux

Post by robertjw »

Yes, this is the right workaround. Just downgrade to the older 2.20 version of avr-binutils (avr-as and avr-ar). This will be the workaround until the fundamental problem is fixed. I've duplicated that here and have run several of the arduino examples directly from the IDE. Unfortunately we have missed the deadline for fixes in Fedora 16 by a week. The next chance to make sure that arduino runs out of the box in a fresh Fedora installation will be in version 17.

robertjw

Re: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding on Uno & Fedora 14 Linux

Post by robertjw »

Actually, there still remains one problem. The IDE outputs an avrdude upload command string that is unreliable with the Uno product. It sometimes works and it sometimes fails:

avrdude ... -carduino ...

The IDE needs instead to output:

avrdude ... -cstk500v1 -F ...

The -cstk500v1 to get reliability in the communication to the Uno bootloader, and the -F parameter to ignore and get past the "Yikes error".

Short of rebuilding the IDE, is there a way to alter its behavior to output the avrdude command with these changes?

teicher

Post by teicher »

That's OK about the deadline, perhaps the fix can make it into an update and still be included in Fedora 16. Most people update during or immediately after an initial install, so they can still get the fix. I have been posting comments to the bugzilla report describing my situation and this was a URL in a recent update

http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=689

I've not had any upload issues to my Uno with Fedora 16. Does this bugzilla seem appropriate for the upload issue?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=726919

teicher

Post by teicher »

For the benefit of those that find this thread and wonder what the resolution is, avr-binutils was officially downgraded to v 2.20 for Fedora 14-16 and the RPMs are in the stable repo. Just do a yum update avr-binutils and you should get the package that works.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”