Arduino Uno power light is on but can't upload sketches

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Codingflux

Arduino Uno power light is on but can't upload sketches

Post by Codingflux »

I ordered the Arduino experiment kit, I managed to use just 3 of the projects and when I uploaded a third sketch the arduino stopped responding and connecting...now all I have is the led that stays in the on and no other LEDs. I'm new to this so I'm not sure what else to do. Here is the error message that I get from the IDE

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I'm running this under Max OSX lion.

Do I need to return this Arduino back?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Arduino Uno power light is on but can't upload sketches

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I uploaded a third sketch the arduino stopped responding and connecting
Is there still a virtual COM port when the device is plugged in?

Hold the shift key down while attempting an upload and post the output.

Codingflux

Post by Codingflux »

Here is the output:

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodemfd131 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/qd/x4jq8l4503b8qrltqd5wq7fm0000gn/T/build4655973661523929157.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 9 2007 at 11:20:31
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/sanchezjav/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbmodemfd131
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding

ArduinoFlux

Post by ArduinoFlux »

I'm still waiting for help guys !!!

adafruit_support_bill

Please answer all the questions:
Make sure that you have selected the COM port that appears when you plug the device in.
Also make sure that you have the correct board type selected.

Do you see any other LED activity at all when you attempt the upload? You should at least see a few blinks of the Rx led.

baldengineer

Post by baldengineer »

Since the poster is using OS X, referring to the Uno as a Virtual COM Port might be confusing.

@Codingflux, If you go to the Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info... this will load System Profilier. Click on USB (under Hardware) and you should see Arduino Uno listed (under one of the Hubs.) You may need to Refresh (CMD-R). If you see the Uno listed, disconnect and refresh again to verify it goes away.

Assuming it is listed (since avrdude isn't complaining about invalid serial port), try manually resetting the Uno. Manually reset it by disconnecting from USB/Power. Press and hold the RESET button. Reconnect USB, keeping RESET pressed. When the "Sketch Size" message appears in the IDE count to 1 or 2 before releasing RESET.

The idea is to keep the ATmega328 from talking to the 8U2 until new code is ready to be loaded. Sometimes just pressing reset alone doesn't work. You need to hold it through a power cycle.

ArduinoFlux

Post by ArduinoFlux »

James thanks! after following your instructions here is what I came up with, and yes I did unplug and plug it again and was able to still see it.

Arduino Uno:

Product ID: 0x0001
Vendor ID: 0x2341
Version: 0.01
Serial Number: ******************( didn't know if you needed this but I still took this out)
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Arduino (www.arduino.cc)
Location ID: 0xfd130000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

baldengineer

Post by baldengineer »

There really wasn't a reason to post any of that. The system profiler exercise was just to see that the Arduino was still being recognized by the computer. If you can see it, then error message means the IDE can't upload to the Arduino.

Now try the manual reset when upkoading to the Arduino from the IDE.

ArduinoFlux

Post by ArduinoFlux »

Ok here is my update, I have tried the reset numerous times without any success. Since then I have ordered and received a brand new Arduino Uno and a atmega328 chip which I have swapped and tried your method or reset without any avail, now the new chip won't even allow me to upload to it on the working brand new board. So I"m still in the same situation. Any suggestions? oh and can I return this chip if I just received it and tried to upload a sketch from my working Uno.

thanks

adafruit_support_bill

The Bootloaders on the 328 chips are Duemilanove-compatible bootloaders. If you put an Atmega 328 chip in your UNO, you need to select Duemilanove/328 as your board type in the IDE. With the new 328 chip in the board, try selecting the Duemilanove and report back what you see. You should at least see activity on the Rx led.

ArduinoFlux

Post by ArduinoFlux »

Ok when picking the board type as arduino dueminalove or nano with Atmega328 on my brand new uno the programming of the new atmega328 chip worked, so I took that new chip and installed it on my previous uno and the blink program ran fine (blinking led #13). But I'm unable to load any new sketches to it using that same board with the same option for board. Tried using the same board option method to try to program the chip that I think is fried and all I get is the rx blinking a little and I still receive the avrdude programmer is not responding thing...is there a way to figure out if its not functional any more. or is there a way I can burn the boot loader into it again? what is my next step I should take. btw thanks for your help so far!

adafruit_support_bill

It sounds like a problem with the 8U2 chip on your older UNO. You can try resetting it. See the "Reset the 8u2" instructions about 2/3 down on this page: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

ArduinoFlux

Post by ArduinoFlux »

I tried doing the reset and it's not working, I have an Arduino UNO R2, even did a few searches and found these methods but they also didn't work, not even on my brink new Arduino.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic ... #msg380874

and here

http://spacetinkerer.blogspot.com/2011/ ... duino.html

and here

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45913857/Arduino-UNO

Is there a method to do this on my version of Arduino that's newbie friendly?

adafruit_support_bill

found these methods but they also didn't work
When you say they didn't work, do you mean you got errors during the firmware update? Or did the firmware update complete and the board still does not communicate?

If you got errors during the update, please post them.

ArduinoFlux

Post by ArduinoFlux »

When I tried those methods and after installing the software needed to run the dfu programmer still the terminal said no device connected, when I do connect both grounds to the places indicated on the one of the examples (where it states wire 1 and wire 2), the led light with the L on it blinks rapidly and for a few seconds and then it goes back to running the preinstalled blink program.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”