Relationship SD and SdFatlib

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andrewr123

Relationship SD and SdFatlib

Post by andrewr123 »

Hi

Great forum!

I see that your SD library (https://github.com/adafruit/SD) has a /utility folder containing a subset of the SdFatLib library (http://code.google.com/p/sdfatlib/downloads/list).

Are these duplicates of the latest SdFatLib files (so could I omit the /utility folder), or do they differ (and if so, do I need to ensure there isn’t a conflict with my SdFatLib files)?

Regards, Andrew

adafruit

Re: Relationship SD and SdFatlib

Post by adafruit »

SD is now the 'official' SD library for use with Arduino
not a good idea to have two copies of sdfatlib - it could cause a problem (or maybe not, but why risk it?)
you can use the 'included' SDfatlib - check the cardinfo example for how!

fat16lib

Post by fat16lib »

The SdFat in the SD utility folder is much older than the current SdFat. The old SdFat in the utility folder can not be replaced by the newest SdFat.

Most of SdFat has been rewritten to make it faster and easier to use. Many bugs have been fixed and new features have been added.

Most people who use SD.h don't have problems with the old bugs and only need the limited features and performance of SD.h

andrewr123

Post by andrewr123 »

Thanks for the responses, although if I've understood right this seems a unwelcome place to have arrived at. If I've got it right, this means if I want to use SD I can't use the more advanced/faster features of the underlying library, but have to run with the identically named but older modules in the utility folder. Or have I read it wrong?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you can use the 'included' SDfatlib - check the cardinfo example for how!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”