Arduino under Ubuntu

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kokopellix

Arduino under Ubuntu

Post by kokopellix »

I have downloaded your AFMotor library twice, once under Windows XP and once under Ubuntu.

I extracted and copied the library into the Aduino libraries folder and all works well. My program that tests a 2WD drive robot compiles very nicely.

I did the same under Ubuntu and the sketches still claim that AFMotor.h does not exist. even though it does.

I am still new to Ubuntu so I am, almost certainly, doing something stupid or omitting something obvious.

But, please, tell me what I am doing wrong. An Ubuntu/Linux version of your Arduino hacks would be just wonderful.

pburgess

Re: Arduino under Ubuntu

Post by pburgess »

Venturing a guess here, but it might be a case-sensitivity issue...if I recall correctly, Linux is case-sensitive with respect to directory and file names, whereas Windows isn't. I think. So if you named your Arduino libraries folder 'Libraries' (upper case), try renaming it 'libraries' (lower case), or vice-versa, and restart the Arduino IDE, see if it picks that up. Also make sure the preferences are set with the correct sketchbook location, and that the libraries folder is inside that.

kokopellix

Post by kokopellix »

The case used seems to be following the same convention used in existing folders in 'libaries'.

AFMotor has been loaded to 'libaries' along with all the folders that are listed by the Arduino IDE. But, AFMotor is not listed, nor can it be imported.

I appreciate the suggestion but, unless I have missed something, I am using the correct case for the AFMotor folder name.

The library contents mimic exactly (as far as I can tell) that installed under Windows XP, under which I can include AFMotor.h.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

AFMotor has been loaded to 'libaries' along with all the folders that are listed by the Arduino IDE. But, AFMotor is not listed, nor can it be imported.
Did you close and re-open the IDE after installing the library? The IDE scans the libraries only once at startup.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”