Installation problems

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
robotz12248

Installation problems

Post by robotz12248 »

I'm a newbie to the arduino and am having problems with set up. First , I"m running Windows 7 Home Prem. 64 bit; and the arduino UNO. I downloaded the drivers and IDE. It did not download to "C:/OS/ Programs, but to my downloads. I extracted, then tried again to download it to "C:/OS/Programs. Still did not. To open the arduino IDE I have to open the arduino-0022 file, then click on the arduino icon to get the IDE open. I was able to type the "Blink" sketch, and compile/verify sucessfully; however; it would not upload to the arduino board. I get 2 error messages:
avrdude:STK 500_ get sync (): not in sync: resp = 0x30
avrdude: STK 500_ disable (): protocal error, expect = 0x14, resp = 0x51
I tried to reset the board and that didn"t resolve the problem. When I plug the board into my USB it goes into the "Blink" program.
I checked under "Tools" in the IDE, and it showed a checkmark and COM3. Also showed it was set to the UNO board.
Under "Device Manager" I can not find the "COMS and LTP ports" nor can I find how to select and assign COM ports. I tried windows help and followed the protocal......................didn't work either! Is this a Windows 7 problem?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Installation problems

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is this a Windows 7 problem??
The Arduino UNO and the 0022 version of the IDE all work fine on Window 7/64.
To open the arduino IDE I have to open the arduino-0022 file, then click on the arduino icon to get the IDE open
The IDE does not have an installer and will not automatically put a shortcut in your Start menu. But if you go to the IDE directory and right click on the icon, you can create a shortcut and drag it to the Start Menu.
I get 2 error messages:
avrdude:STK 500_ get sync (): not in sync: resp = 0x30
avrdude: STK 500_ disable (): protocal error, expect = 0x14, resp = 0x51
This can be caused by a number of things. But it sounds like you may not have completed the driver install.
Look again in the Device Manager. If the UNO driver was not installed, it will appear under "other devices" (or some similar name).

If you plug and un-plug the UNO while the device manager is open, you should see the device coming and going (be patient, sometimes it takes a while for the system to recognize it).

When you find it. right click to get the properties and then follow the instructions to install the driver from the IDE 'drivers' folder.

robotz12248

Post by robotz12248 »

OK, I tried what you suggested. I do an online search for drivers and recieve a message; Windows cannot find drivers for this device. I also get a message in the "properties" saying "the drivers for this device are not installed(Code 28 ).
I have gone to www.arduino.cc to try to install the drivers. Under Windows I find no drivers for Windows 7. Any sugesstions as to where I can find the drivers?

adafruit_support_bill

http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows
The drivers are in the Arduino-0022/drivers folder. The name of the driver is "Arduino UNO.inf".

robotz12248

Post by robotz12248 »

Thank you for your reply. I tried installing the drivers from the arduino file; however; I recieved a message that it does not support installation from the folder. Would appreciate some instruction on how to download the drivers from the ardunio files. Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Follow the instructions in the link above (step 4).

robotz12248

Post by robotz12248 »

I do realize you are trying to assist me and to you this must seem a very simple task and I'm sure it is; once you know how to do it. I can't seem to find COM & LPT ports in the Device manager. I've read all the help sections and still can not find it. Perhaps once I know how to open COM & LPT I can continue. Thank you for your help.

robotz12248

Post by robotz12248 »

I tried redoing step #4. The arduino is only showing up under "Other Devices" I've right clicked on COM & LPT, then properties, and I only get a window that contains "COM & LPT". I still cannot find anyway to change or assign COM ports. I'm stumped!

adafruit_support_bill

tried redoing step #4. The arduino is only showing up under "Other Devices"
It is showing up under "Other Devices" because you let Windows install a default driver for it. You need to replace that driver with the correct UNO driver:
  • Right click on it in "Other Devices"
    Select "Properties".
    Click on the "Driver" tab.
    Click on the "Update Driver"
    Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
    Click the "Browse" button.
    Navigate to the Arduino-0022/drivers folder.
    Press "OK"

robotz12248

Post by robotz12248 »

I finally got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to thank you so very much for your patience and determination in helping me to resolve this issue.I realized that I was not navigating all the way through to the arduino file folder. Again , thank you very much.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”