Chronodot library update for 1.0

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stephanie

Chronodot library update for 1.0

Post by stephanie »

For what it's worth, I've just updated my little Chronodot library for Arduino 1.0 compatibility.

I've also set it to maintain backwards compatibility with the older IDEs, just in case folks want to keep using them.

Posted here: http://planetstephanie.net/2011/12/01/c ... ry-update/

File is here: http://planetstephanie.net/blog/wp-cont ... onodot.zip

Someday I will learn how to use Git... If only there were some sort of achievement badge I could earn, to nudge me along... :)

Cheers!

Edited to add: the only advantage this offers over the DS1307 library, is this one lets you access the Chronodot's built-in temperature sensor - you can get tempF and tempC in addition to the date and time info.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Chronodot library update for 1.0

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Nice work Stephanie! If I only had a badge to give you :D

stephanie

Post by stephanie »

Today is the day I learned how to use github! :)

I have set up a proper repository for the library here:
https://github.com/Stephanie-Maks/Arduino-Chronodot

Cheers!

macegr

Post by macegr »

I'm finishing up some extra documentation for the ChronoDot and will definitely be linking your library. I will be posting a big mess o' functions too, so people can see how things are done. But will recommend that everyone just use your library or the Time library if they have the space.

stephanie

Post by stephanie »

Wow neat!

I know the DS3231 is capable of a few more features -- like the dual alarms, that I completely ignored when I set that up. I was really just focused on getting the temperature data out of it, but I've been reading the datasheet and thinking of adding more capabilities to the library. No idea when I'd get to it though, it's been on my todo for some time already.

Cheers!

macegr

Post by macegr »

I don't think alarms are useful in the context of the Arduino, since no one ever does sleep-mode stuff with that. It's just as easy to check the time frequently and be able to calculate many different alarm times. Plus you don't have to wire another pin over, you can keep square wave output if you need it, and you don't have to check a register for alarm interrupt flags. I'm not putting in demo code that uses the alarms. It would be useful if you had a very low power application and you needed to wake up the MCU after weeks or months of inactivity. So don't worry about ignoring the alarms for now, I don't think you're missing much :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”